'59 Transition badge Super Classic - Complete!

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good vibes, guys. I was very fortunate to notice the sale ad, but pretty determined to be there first.

Yes, a 'tag sale' on the east coast is essentially an estate sale; everything is marked with a price, first come, first served. Out here they are done by professional sale companies, almost always in place in the home. For big ticket items like this, they usually do some research and know how to price them so that the owner will get a fair value. Usually they let the first 10 people in line in the house, then as they trickle out, they'll let another batch of folks in. If the items sit towards the end of the day, then you can try to haggle. There were at least a dozen of *us* (ok, you can admit it now) who made pre-sale-day inquiries on this kit, and no, they wouldn't sell it early. Yes, I tried. Yes, they were willing to ship, but my experience has been that most estate companies including this one will not agree to sell out-of-area until the local crowd has petered out.

Another neat thing about a complete lot like this is the ephemera that many times comes with the kit, like that ludwig key envelope. This is the second complete kit buy I've made where I found the play list from (perhaps) the last show performed on the kit! Kind of puts a mark in time where donnie drummer may have hung it up for good. Look this list over - Tie a Yellow Ribbon - Tony Orlando 1973, Bad Bad Leroy Brown - Jim Croce 1973. Any songs here newer than those? So this might have been a mid-70s playlist.

John

Attachments

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Levelpebble: I have to say......I am floored. That all drums have the same August 21 1959 date is Incredible. I was born in 1959, and I've never seen a set like this.

Congrats!! Clean these up and play some Johnny and The Hurricanes!!!

Attachments

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
What a neat setlist. That is a very cool item to find with those. I'll check my notes on the V.J. Lapage stuff. I've got two that are also small cymbals. I think that they made their own cymbals. Some sound very nice too. Good memory Zenstat!

I've got 30's-40's written down in some notes. Marketed as Turkish style cymbals made in the USA. Just found a reference that mentions made in Buffalo NY. Do not know how late they were made though. They remind me a lot of Avedis First/Second Stamp models.

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
UPDATE - snare and toms are all cleaned up; here's some shots of the snare. One little scratch on the strainer and a tiny bit of chrome loss on the edge of the bottom hoop. That's it. Other than that, looks like just came from the shop floor. On to the bass.....

Attachments

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As you see in lots of this era of drums, the size is written in chalk on the inner ply, as well as an initial of a line worker. However, this maple ply 22" kick also has this cryptic "2-BLUE 2-GOLD" in chalk. Any idea of the significance?

As I mentioned before, the hoops on this kick are painted blue, not black. Maybe? But what's with the gold?

Attachments

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
MLayton said:
What a neat setlist. That is a very cool item to find with those. I'll check my notes on the V.J. Lapage stuff. I've got two that are also small cymbals. I think that they made their own cymbals. Some sound very nice too. Good memory Zenstat!

I've got 30's-40's written down in some notes. Marketed as Turkish style cymbals made in the USA. Just found a reference that mentions made in Buffalo NY. Do not know how late they were made though. They remind me a lot of Avedis First/Second Stamp models.
Sounds like something you might find in the great George Way's "Little Black Book."

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
What you have, sir, is a time capsule! Man, I'd keep all of that stuff together.

I'd love to hear 'em, if you could rig a sound file.

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
MLayton said:
Drooling here! Some of you guys have been breaking out some unreal finds here recently. This one is superb! Please never split it up. The cymbals are fantastic. Love seeing it all together with all the stuff like that. I'm floored..Congratulations!!
I'm with Mike! Wow!

John, thank you so much for sharing. Love the set list.
What's funny is that could be our current set!