6.5X14 1930's Ludwig Pioneer NOB. How to get more snare response out of this drum???

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
take it apart . Take snare off. Both top and bottom hoops and heads.
Inspect everything closely.

Put the hoops and heads back on. Get it sounding good "as a tom tom"...
finally put the snares back on.

What changed?
THAT'S an amazing idea!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll try! Does this work for you??

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
This. :thumbup: Many of these old tube lug drums are easy to under-tighten because of how they "feel" when tensioning them up. If Chad Smith can use one of these cranked up on a lot of the tracks on Blood Sugar Sex Magik with success, then so can you. (careful, not too tight on the vintage hoop clips, or get modern versions and stash the originals)
Thanks! Great advice

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
I use wide snares on a '20s NOB and it sounds great.
I use wide snares on a '20s NOB and it sounds great.
I bought some old style silk wrapped wires from Adrian Kirschler for my old 6.5 Leedy nob 6 lugger. Total pain to install but even with the poor job i did it sounds so great. Dried out the drum in a nice way and the snare response is fat and articulate. I totally understand why snappy snares became the standard though...
Nice drum!

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
If you're considering other wires the Puresound twisted wires increase snare sound while having the same width as a 20 strand. It's a pretty quick and easy way to bump it without trying to micromanaging other details you may not want to change. I used them on a 14 x 5.5 Walnut Poplar that I had when I needed a lot more snare at whisper and loud volumes, it was perfect.
Did it work well with the beds?

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
Have you experimented with different tunings or are you just at the normal settings for your other snares? I'm not familiar with the Pioneer but I will say that I've found some drums respond differently to the same settings and may not respond how you expect. Focus especially on the snare side head. You may need more or less tension than you expect to get the response you want. Plus some drums like to have the lugs closest to the snare beds tuned a little tighter or looser than the rest.
I'll definitely give that a try!

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
these work well for the old drums, but I'm not sure it's the sound you're looking for

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
these work well for the old drums, but I'm not sure it's the sound you're looking for
I’ve heard good things about these. Just ordered a set, thanks!

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd set that drum up with -

Ludwig coated medium batter

Ludwig X-thin snare side

vintage Ludwig chrome wire set , or the Pearl equivalent . I stay away from black carbon type wires . The plastic butted Ludwig wires do miraculous things for problematic snares , but are next to impossible to find anymore , if you're lucky grab them .

Top head medium tension , bottom head tight to very tight using the rods either side of the snare bed ( 4 - 2 each side) to adjust wire reaction .

What are you looking for ? You must have an example on something you've heard or visualized from listening to a recording . If you can narrow that down, do a little research on the who what when and where of the specific recording .

What's your go-to snare before this one ? Do a comparison of the components and tuning of the two .

Last edited:

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
UPDATE: so, I got the drum dialed in this morning and sounding AMAZING!

I’m using a Evans 200 mil reso side

CS batter head

16 strand Customs (Puresound)

thanks to all for the assistance!
glad your combo worked out for you. I am inclined to say replace the CS head with an ambassador, but if it working fine with the CS, then go with it.

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
glad your combo worked out for you. I am inclined to say replace the CS head with an ambassador, but if it working fine with the CS, then go with it.
I’ll definitely try that out. Just don’t want the unwanted “ring”