6.5x14 Rogers Super Ten with generic strainers, no serial?

Markpotato

Reaction score
Anyone have info on these? I also have a 5.5x14 that is exactly the same. Are they like grey market Rogers or something? The only text on them is the script logo. I just picked up this 6.5x14 for $80 today, seemed like a good deal since I really like my other one, which I actually just bought an Inde strainer for. Haven't tuned this one up yet.

Appreciate any info you guys might have on this, I figured someone replaced a broken strainer or something on my other one til I found this.

Attachments

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks to me like someone installed a script logo onto a drum that isn't a Rogers anything .

Markpotato

Reaction score
Wherever it's from it's definitely not a one off. I've seen a few on ebay with that same setup. I'm cleaning it up now.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think those are from the era when Brook Mays owned the Rogers name and sold imported beginner/intermediate drums under Rogers. I remember them in catalogs around the early to mid 2000’s. Any $80 drum that sounds good is a good score

lcondo123

Reaction score
That's an import, beginner's level steel snare drum from the Brooks Mays era. Only made for a few years but had very little success due to them having nothing in common with original Rogers other than the name. But hey, if it sounds good and does its job, then it was well worth the 80 bucks!

Markpotato

Reaction score
I'll post up tomorrow whether or not it sounds any good. My 5.5x14 sounds excellent, the only thing that bothered me was that dinky snare throw. So I'm expecting that to be a minor irritation but this drum appears to be pretty well in round so I hope to find it usable. It's now my deepest snare. Rogers Sorta Ten.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Import. The script logo angle seems steep. I have come across a few used at GC - always passed as they are COS and modern.....hope it sounds good.

Markpotato

Reaction score
Yeah, it's not great, maybe with upgrades it will sound ok. I didn't know about the Brook Mays era stuff otherwise I might've passed since it really needed some cleanup. I liked my 5.5x14 but I remember it taking some work to get the wires to respond well, again that janky snare throw. But I ended up with some good tone out of it.

I have an Inde strainer and 2.3mm hoops arriving soon, I might try them and some fresh wires on both and see which one I like more. I imagine I'll be keeping my 5.5x14 and selling the 6.5x14.

Markpotato

Reaction score
So I just tried Canopus wires on it and wow that made a huge difference. Definitely a usable snare with just that upgrade. I feel a little better about the purchase now. I don't know if I love the shell tone yet but I need to try it with a different batter.

lcondo123

Reaction score
So I just tried Canopus wires on it and wow that made a huge difference. Definitely a usable snare with just that upgrade. I feel a little better about the purchase now. I don't know if I love the shell tone yet but I need to try it with a different batter.
It's most likely a pretty cheap rolled welded sheet of steel that makes up the shell, and those are hard to get to sound as good as a higher quality metal shells. I definitely recommend getting heavier hoops, too. Keeps a cheaper drum like that in tune better and eliminates some overtones lighter hoops couldn't muffle.

Markpotato

Reaction score
Some final thoughts. Thanks for helping me identify the drum first of all. The upgrades all went on the 5.5x14, which although is also a Brook Mays era ten lugger, to my ears is a nicer sounding drum with plenty of volume and good overtones.

I tried both snares with my band last night and the 6.5x14 is noticeably drier and maybe a little quieter. It's not a bad snare really but I didn't expect to want more resonance out of it. Another interesting note, I tried a White Suede Emperor I had laying around as a batter and that made the drum deeeeaaaad, all tone gone. That same head makes a Pearl Sensitone brass I have sing. This drum seemed to only work with a single ply batter.

The 5.5x14, which again I love and will probably never get rid of, ended up with Renaissance Ambassador batter and snare side, Canopus vintage dry wires, 2.3mm stick saver hoops brass plated with the Inde strainer and universal butt plate also brass to match the hoops. Looks great, sounds sweet. I'm fully sold on Canopus wires, very dynamic and sensitive.

So you can see why I was hopeful about the 6.5x14. For a minute I was thinking it could be a candidate for some hand hammering but I think it's maybe too dry as a starting point. It's weird because it has a bright overtone but the overtones aren't very loud so it sounds dry. Hammering might help the tones sound better, but it might end up being too quiet. Should I just sell it and move on? Probably not worth any more than I paid for it I'm guessing.

Thanks guys