6 or 8 lugs on a 13" snare?

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i have an Accent tom i converted to a snare, and six lugs works fine... in fact, i now like 13" snares as well

nk126

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 13 x 7 snare someone made me a long time ago with hardware from another snare I built that turned out to have a warped shell. Six lugs, and the snare side rim is actually a "regular" rim with holes drilled in it to pass the snare cords through. Total hardware salvage, on-the-cheap build. I love, love, love this drum. I keep it tuned up very high and play it with one band and it delivers a ton of crack and pop, and I don't try to get it to do anything else. But at least for these purposes, six lugs works just fine. ‍May not help your dilemma much, but hey, there you go.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
8 lug for range. Six is nice but limiting imo. Love 6 on toms but i need flexibility from any snare drum.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cast hoops on all my snare drums. Toms it seems, like the tf. My tuning does not vary much at all. I like different heads to voice the difference.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would do 8 for a snare. I have a 13" snare with 10 lugs which is not very common but it also stays tuned rather high because of this.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would do 8 for a snare. I have a 13" snare with 10 lugs which is not very common but it also stays tuned rather high because of this.
Never seen a 10 lug 13 inch snare or hoops.

Last edited:

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Never seen a 10 lug 13 inch snare or hoops.
Yep. 13x6.5 Drumcraft Lignum Birch. Satin hardware as well. You can find 13" 10 lug hoops online, but only at a couple places. I think Stdrums has some and dfd has some Pearl die cast 13" 10 lug hoops off of their marching snares available. They are ~$90 each though.