60’s Ludwig Super Classic Question

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Please see the Super Classic for sale below. It is a pre serial kit and the owner claims it is all original and he inherited from his grand father. From pictures it appears the toms have white interior and the bass drum is clear interior (shown from the port), is this normal for a kit from that era?
Also, does that floor tom leg look original?

Last edited:

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That snare looks like a MIJ — it's definitely not a Ludwig, so it's not a complete Super Classic outfit (a complete one would include a 5" Supra). From the photos the 22/16/13 look to be in great shape but even though I'm no vintage-drum expert, $2700 seems way too high to me.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please see the Super Classic for sale below. It is a pre serial kit and the owner claims it is all original and he inherited from his grand father. From pictures it appears the toms have white interior and the bass drum is clear interior (shown from the port), is this normal for a kit from that era?
Also, does that floor tom leg look original?

I believe it was around 1963 when white Resacoate paint was applied to the interiors of Ludwig drums so I think that would put it in the pre-serial era so it is possible that this set was a "transition" set; to assemble this, the Ludwig workers grabbed a bass drum from stock and toms from stock and assembled it...just a guess....

Any date stamps shown on the interiors would be my question? That may give a clue...Maybe this set is from 1962-1963......

I agree with hsodrum, that snare definitely doesn't have Ludwig lugs so most likely MIJ or some other brand

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty common for bass drums of that era to have unpainted maple interiors. Seems odd but they did do that for a period around 62 when the white resocoat first started.

Floor tom legs do look like newer replacements. Pricing is certainly high, especially with that mismatched snare drum.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty common for bass drums of that era to have unpainted maple interiors. Seems odd but they did do that for a period around 62 when the white resocoat first started.

Floor tom legs do look like newer replacements. Pricing is certainly high, especially with that mismatched snare drum.
The snare is not even included in the sale, it’s just the 22/16/13 but yea that looks like a MIJ snare.

digovii

Reaction score

different price?
He probably doesn't want to ship it, which I understand. Shipping a drumset right now is crazy pricey. Looks like a good local deal if you're in the SF area and mention the craigslist ad.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I had this exact set at one point in the same finish. This set looks totally original and really nice. Mine also had a clear maple interior bass drum too and it had an April 1963 date stamp inside.