60' olympic (premier) snare thoughts? Craiglist add. 5.5x14 beech shell. Good? Bad? Any experience with these drums?

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
IMG_8580.jpg

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 6 lug with the same badge (62-69 I think)...built like a frigging tank...great stuff...if the price is good...RUN...don't walk...I also have a later metal shelled Olympic...I think the steel was thicker than on the Premiers...mines now modified but its a great drum...did Premier make anything that was 'bad'....?

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
I had a 6 lug with the same badge (62-69 I think)...built like a frigging tank...great stuff...if the price is good...RUN...don't walk...I also have a later metal shelled Olympic...I think the steel was thicker than on the Premiers...mines now modified but its a great drum...did Premier make anything that was 'bad'....?
I have experience with more "modern" premier. Thank you very much. If it's in good shape I'm def going to jump on it.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Weren’t the old Premiers/Olympics all either birch or mahogany (w/ beech re-rings)? Did they ever make an all beech shell?

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
Weren’t the old Premiers/Olympics all either birch or mahogany (w/ beech re-rings)? Did they ever make an all beech shell?
Some older European drums used beech shells (sonor etc). The seller may be incorrect in the post. Going to check it out now. Will report back.

microkit

Reaction score
I got one on eBay and did as much research as I could, you can check vintage drum forums etc. Should be birch with beech rings, and certain colors are worth more, mine is cream which is common/cheap. I also bid low, thinking it was a 6-lug, but I got an 8-lug drum. Sometimes eBay listings work out well for the buyer this way...bad pictures or mistakes in the listing that work in your favor.

Mostly I wanted something old and vintage style without springing for the cheapest Ludwig Pioneer or Slingerland student model. I'd still like one of those, but it's cool to have the Olympic and they can be a bargain. You can swap out the lug screws if they're the slotted kind (save them), and the chrome is supposed to be the best in the industry, Premier used the same plater that Rolls Royce did, or so it is said.

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
I got one on eBay and did as much research as I could, you can check vintage drum forums etc. Should be birch with beech rings, and certain colors are worth more, mine is cream which is common/cheap. I also bid low, thinking it was a 6-lug, but I got an 8-lug drum. Sometimes eBay listings work out well for the buyer this way...bad pictures or mistakes in the listing that work in your favor.

Mostly I wanted something old and vintage style without springing for the cheapest Ludwig Pioneer or Slingerland student model. I'd still like one of those, but it's cool to have the Olympic and they can be a bargain. You can swap out the lug screws if they're the slotted kind (save them), and the chrome is supposed to be the best in the industry, Premier used the same plater that Rolls Royce did, or so it is said.
I'm impressed with the build quality for the era. The edges are very well done, the interior of the drum was sanded flat where the plies overlap, very very little glue drips, the wrap is perfectly fitted and still tight. The chrome cleaned up nicely. Much better construction than many American drums of the same time period. People are sleeping on these drums. For $120 I think I did pretty well. Def pick one up if given a chance.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tri flange hoops , two less lugs and a more basic strainer was the difference between Olynpic and Premier - the shells were the same birch with beech rings .... the 12 " tom had five instead of six lugs , so you could use Gretschhoops for that size .

My first kit( 71?) came with a six lug Olympic , white wrap . 14x 5.5 . It served me well until my first Acrolite in 73 .

Last edited:

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
Tri flange hoops , two less lugs and a more basic strainer was the difference between Olynpic and Premier - the shells were the same birch with beech rings .... the 12 " tom had five instead of six lugs , so you could use Gretschhoops for that size .

My first kit( 71?) came with a six lug Olympic , white wrap . 14x 5.5 . It served me well until my first Acrolite in 73 .
The Premiers had die cast?

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Premiers had die cast?
They did at least for a number of years. During WWII Premier retooled for the war effort and became quite skilled at casting. They restarted the drum business around 1948 and after that they included a plethora of diecast parts on their drums and hardware.

Attachments

• 3E5FCAE2-D784-4586-9243-5186168E3391.jpeg
    3E5FCAE2-D784-4586-9243-5186168E3391.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 12

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
They did at least for a number of years. During WWII Premier retooled for the war effort and became quite skilled at casting. They restarted the drum business around 1948 and after that they included a plethora of diecast parts on their drums and
I'm pleased with the build quality. Just need to find some replacement swivel nuts.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm pleased with the build quality. Just need to find some replacement swivel nuts.
In the US, Premier & Olympic parts can be a bit tricky to locate. Here’s a place in the UK that probably has what you need: https://www.drum-attic.co.uk/shop/

I too have an Olympic snare but mine is later than yours. This one has a mahogany shell.

Attachments

• 4A5F7090-F469-45B8-AEF4-E4D34054F902.jpeg
    4A5F7090-F469-45B8-AEF4-E4D34054F902.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: