60s Gretsch Help-60s Snare? Round Badge

drumsncollectables

Reaction score
Hi Everyone-

I recently got this 60s Gretsch from a friend who got it from the original owner. The original owner got it for the school band and used it a few times before he quit and put it in his closet (until last week when it was given to my friend).

There's a few interesting things with this

1.) Under the butt plate is stamped 590

2.) Inside there is no internal muffler, 3860 stamped inside, and no gretsch sticker, and painted grey interior

3.) The snare had the original drum key, a case they got at the same time, sticks, music books, and stands all from the same time. Also original heads and wires

The owner claims he got it around 63-64, but I have not seen any serial stamp 3860 in gretsch catalogs.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Looks like a mid 60s Gretsch "Dixieland" model. That was Gretsch's lowest cost separate tension model, with 6 lugs and usually sans muffler. It is the same shell as higher priced models but with fewer lugs and the lower cost Renown throw off. Earlier examples had single flange hoops with clips on the tension rods but by the mid sixties Gretsch had upgreded to model to use die-cast hoops.

I'd agree that the 590 was probably added by the school as an inventory number or whatever.
66P10.JPG

niles

Reaction score
Hey Drums, I see Penn St. Reading Pa. On one of the catalogs you got with the snare. Is it by Chance Chiarelli Brothers Music on Penn. Thanks Niles

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
The stampings were likely done at the Gretsch factory as they filled the order for the school.
The font style is reminiscent of other stampings I've seen over the years (similar to the stampings on the military issue drums).