60's Gretsch round badge natural maple sets

twigdrum

Reaction score
Looking to purchase 60's round badge Gretsch natural maple finish drums in 12"x8", 16"x16", and 22"x14" sizes.
Serious buyer willing to pay fair prices and looking for multiple kits.

Thanks..

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
Please note 99.9% of all natural maple Gretsch RB kits you are willing to pay a fair price for have all been stripped.

As far as I know from 1960 to 1969 Gretsch never offered this finish to the general public or cataloged or advertisement of any DRUM SETS in natural maple finish.

Their is absolutely no proof of any real natural maple kits or orphan drums that don't have questionable past.

Beware.

chikncity

Reaction score
Pre 1962 Gretsch advertisement showing a "polished maple" finish kit 18/14/12 configuration. You can find the complete ad on the Gretsch website.

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Polish Maple? Now I know why it wasn't so popular. Poland isn't really known for their maple veneers.

Anyway, that photo is an "Artist Ad" and not a catalog item. I couldn't find a any Natural Maple listings in the pre-'62 catalogs. But maybe you can find it for me. You are correct in that they do show an Ad that way.
The above Ad is on: http://www.gretschdrums.com/ebooks/artist_ads/index.html

chikncity

Reaction score
There are no Gretsch catalog listings from that era for "polished maple" finish, just like there were not any for Slingerland/Leedy. But the kits were available, were made and did/do exist. I ordered a walnut finish Slingerland kit in 68/69 although you couldn't find a catalog that listed it. And below is a PIC of a '64 Leedy kit.

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
chikncity said:
Pre 1962 Gretsch advertisement showing a "polished maple" finish kit 18/14/12 configuration. You can find the complete ad on the Gretsch website.
Oh here we go again... I'll say this... if a person can strip a perfectly decent drum set in 2015... so it is highly possible a person during the 1950s and 1960s could have done the same... STRIP A PERFECTLY DECENT DRUM SET. Gretsch 1960 to 1969 RB era never offered a natural maple drum set. However Gretsch did offer a walnut finish on drum sets in 1969 only... their is no documentation to back-up any natural maple finish Gretsch RB drum sets...

R

RickP

So Twig,
May we assume you are looking to do a Charlie Watts style tribute kit when you find this ?:)

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
RickP said:
So Twig,
May we assume you are looking to do a Charlie Watts style tribute kit when you find this ?:)
And guess what folks, I hate to brake the bad news to y'all but Charlie Watts RB Gretsch kit is a STRIPPED down RB Gretsch kit...YES STRIPPED!!!

So here we have another fine example of a RB kit in natural maple finish that has been stripped that has been owned and played by a very famous musician.

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This one [SIZE=12pt]definitely has been stripped. Loose badges etc..........I am however still looking for a stripped 14" Floor tom. This is 20" 12 with snare.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Sorry if I hijacked the thread.[/SIZE]

Attachments

Altar

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Honestly I'd take that ^ over any finish Gretsch offered at the time. That natural maple is hot... I mean, just look at this:

Only thing that would look better than that is one that's been played for fifty years.

I'd honestly buy a drum with a damaged wrap and finish it myself.... I'm actually tempted to, as I need a bass drum right now anyways.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
page 54 Jon Cohan's "Star Sets" of Philly Joe (Ray Avery Archives (not on net)
look like late 60's RB's natural.

Latest posts