60s Ludwig Downbeat Re-wrap Decision

Which wrap would you choose?

• Total voters

Austin__Taylor

Reaction score
I am restoring a 60's Ludwig Downbeat set that currently has no wrap on it. The outer ply is not in the best shape so I want to rewrap it. I want a wrap that is understated (appropriate for fancy gigs), true to the era, and will have high resale value in case I decide to sell it.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd pick Black Galaxy although last I checked Precision did not have it. I don't know if Sam might but I wouldn't buy from him anyhow. If you do, avoid using his tape method and glue the wrap on with 3M 30nf contact cement. Especially if you want to retain resale value. Most potential buyers will care how the re-wrap was done.

Have you considered the 60s Oyster black? On a downbeat that would likely give you the highest potential resale value, probably higher than any you listed except, possibly, Black Galaxy (if you can find it). It's fairly understated (being almost a mix of WMP & BDP) and definitely period correct. Also readily available.

Austin__Taylor

Reaction score
I'd pick Black Galaxy although last I checked Precision did not have it. I don't know if Sam might but I wouldn't buy from him anyhow. If you do, avoid using his tape method and glue the wrap on with 3M 30nf contact cement. Especially if you want to retain resale value. Most potential buyers will care how the re-wrap was done.

Have you considered the 60s Oyster black? On a downbeat that would likely give you the highest potential resale value, probably higher than any you listed except, possibly, Black Galaxy (if you can find it). It's fairly understated (being almost a mix of WMP & BDP) and definitely period correct. Also readily available.
I considered 60s Oyster Black but I like the look of chrome lugs contrasting a wrap of a very different color. The greys in it start to blend with the chrome hardware.

Jammin Sam just released a Black Galaxy: https://www.jamminsam.com/js-sparkle-black-galaxy-on-drums/

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Precision had Black Galaxy in the past 30 days. It’s the same as the reissues yet nothing even close to the original. Jammin Sam’s appears close. Modern Champagne is very expensive and only similar to the original.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Precision had Black Galaxy in the past 30 days. It’s the same as the reissues yet nothing even close to the original. Jammin Sam’s appears close. Modern Champagne is very expensive and only similar to the original.
I talked go Precision about Black Galaxy late last year and at the time Andrea said they didn't have it and didn't know when they would again...if ever. Cool if it's back in their stock as I'd much rather buy from them.

I'll agree it's not the same as the vintage stuff but it's still cool in its own right. It's all coming from Delmar so I'd be very surprised if theirs and Sams are actually any different.

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sip some Champagne.

It checks your list. Classy and understated and unique enough for resale value if you decided to sell.
Plus that was my first kit, and since I’m only 764.3 miles from you, I could very well end up as the buyer.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I talked go Precision about Black Galaxy late last year and at the time Andrea said they didn't have it and didn't know when they would again...if ever. Cool if it's back in their stock as I'd much rather buy from them.

I'll agree it's not the same as the vintage stuff but it's still cool in its own right. It's all coming from Delmar so I'd be very surprised if theirs and Sams is actually any different.
Andrea sent me a sample a month ago and it’s exact to this JF reissue. I got the impression they don’t have a lot for those interested.

Jammin appears to have significantly more glitter. I gather the color match is more accurate too. I don’t have a sample but their pic matches my ‘66 CD.

Attachments

• A971B62C-BFFB-4EE9-B8C6-1AD64B5A740B.jpeg
    A971B62C-BFFB-4EE9-B8C6-1AD64B5A740B.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 38

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Austin, I like the Black Galaxy but wonder if I may make a suggestion.....have you have considered Oyster Blue Pearl? I think there are LOTS of the Oyster Black Pearl new wrap kits so not sure if the value would be there in the long run but think the Oyster Blue Pearl would be spectacular and hold its value! I have both in the original wrap but though I love oyster black, I do think the oyster blue is more vibrant.
I rewrapped a snare in Oyster Blue from Bumwrap and it looked great against my Oyster Blue original wrap kit.

Last edited:

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
to me...WMP just oozes class...however, my 3 kids all think BMP looks 'the most expensive'....both are classics.

KCJazz

Reaction score
I am restoring a 60's Ludwig Downbeat set that currently has no wrap on it. The outer ply is not in the best shape so I want to rewrap it. I want a wrap that is understated (appropriate for fancy gigs), true to the era, and will have high resale value in case I decide to sell it.
I still have my 1965 Sparkling Pink Champagne Hollywood set. Over the years, I lost the inlay strips. I bought some from Jammin' Sam a few years ago. The color was a good match, but, as Sam himself pointed out, the texture was different. I would say the texture was not as fine. They suited my purpose.

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The modern WMP and BDP don’t match the Ludwig pattern and the Champagne looks nothing like the 60’s and 70’s version- so all three of those kill resale.

If you are really worried about resale- stick to the basic sparkles (red/blue/green/silver/gold).

They are safe, never go out of style and match what was originally available.

But that Black Galaxy is the way to go of the four you listed. It has enough of a following that resale shouldn’t be to much of a problem.

It looks fantastic and now I want it too!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
The modern WMP and BDP don’t match the Ludwig pattern and the Champagne looks nothing like the 60’s and 70’s version- so all three of those kill resale.

If you are really worried about resale- stick to the basic sparkles (red/blue/green/silver/gold).

They are safe, never go out of style and match what was originally available.

But that Black Galaxy is the way to go of the four you listed. It has enough of a following that resale shouldn’t be to much of a problem.

It looks fantastic and now I want it too!

I agree with this completely. I love WMP but nothing matches that old stuff and the old stuff was awesome. I still believe that Black Galaxy would be the coolest option. If I were to pick a sparkle, I would probably go green as not many green sets are out there and the few that are have typical fading to them.