Which wrap would you choose?

• Total voters

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Austin, I like the Black Galaxy but wonder if I may make a suggestion.....have you have considered Oyster Blue Pearl? I think there are LOTS of the Oyster Black Pearl new wrap kits so not sure if the value would be there in the long run but think the Oyster Blue Pearl would be spectacular and hold its value! I have both in the original wrap but though I love oyster black, I do think the oyster blue is more vibrant.
I rewrapped a snare in Oyster Blue from Bumwrap and it looked great against my Oyster Blue original wrap kit.
Really? How close is the new blue oyster to the vintage?

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI, I’m pretty sure Jammin’ Sam and Precision Drums both sell Delmar wrap. Having said that, based on your criteria, I would also consider silver sparkle.
Yes, they both source their wrap from Delmar (as does Drum Supply House) so it's the same product although they both carry wrap colors and styles that the other doesn't. I have found that Precision (my much preferred wrap source) can usually get whatever you want if Delmar makes it and has it in stock, even if it's not shown on their site.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? How close is the new blue oyster to the vintage?
You be the judge...see photo below...snare is rewrap but rack tom, floor tom and bass drum are original wrap....it's not perfect match but very little is with the new wraps when interspersing with an original wrap drum sets.
Best to contact Bumwrap and ask for a sample

Attachments

• 65oysterblue.jpg
    65oysterblue.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 29

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
You be the judge...see photo below...snare is rewrap but rack tom, floor tom and bass drum are original wrap....it's not perfect match but very little is with the new wraps when interspersing with an original wrap drum sets.
Best to contact Bumwrap and ask for a sample
Thanks! Nice kit! But, the snare is too far away in that pic to really judge. Can’t see the blue, or, if it has the pearlescence that the original black and blue OP’s had. But, it is close enough for an audience.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Nice kit! But, the snare is too far away in that pic to really judge. Can’t see the blue, or, if it has the pearlescence that the original black and blue OP’s had. But, it is close enough for an audience.
No problem, the kit is boxed up but if I remember right, it may not have the pearlescence that you speak of. Like I said, maybe you should contact Bumwrap for a sample.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bumwrap's pearls lack the pearlescence of the originals. They are basically photographs of the originals and as such lack that "depth".

They are a good choice for some wraps, especially good to have an option available for something like Oyster Blue which is not available (last I knew) in a form like the original. However, it would not be my choice for something if resale value is a major factor. Anyone who really wants an Oyster Blue set will notice the difference as soon as they get close.

Really of all your choices none are especially accurate to the originals, with Galaxy being the closest. The Marine pearls tend to have the wrong chip pattern and Pink Champagne hasn't been perfectly reproduced in a long time.

Just my (additional) 2 cents. As mentioned above, sparkles tend to be dead on to the vintage stuff but pearls get trickier.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The current Delmar Sparkles (not glitters) are very close to original '60s Ludwig. The silver, gold, blue, green and red look pretty authentic.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I wish they still made burgundy sparkle wrap. I’d buy it tomorrow.
You can get a very close approximation custom made by Delmar through Precision. It's expensive (over $200 per sheet) and there may be a long wait until it's made, but it is do-able. I had a sheet made up a couple years ago to make a 14x14 tom to go with a Burgundy set. I'm toying with having another made up to redo a Jazz Fest but keep hoping I'll find a real one I can afford ( a tall order to be sure).

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can get a very close approximation custom made by Delmar through Precision. It's expensive (over $200 per sheet) and there may be a long wait until it's made, but it is do-able. I had a sheet made up a couple years ago to make a 14x14 tom to go with a Burgundy set. I'm toying with having another made up to redo a Jazz Fest but keep hoping I'll find a real one I can afford ( a tall order to be sure).

$200 per sheet?!? If I wanted a 22” bass and a 16” floor re-wrapped in burgundy sparkle, what would you figure it would run me?

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
$200 per sheet?!? If I wanted a 22” bass and a 16” floor re-wrapped in burgundy sparkle, what would you figure it would run me?

Well that would take a minimum of two sheets for certain. The question is whether there would be enough left over from either sheet to do the bottom panel of the bass drum. I'm unsure on that but my guess is you wouldn't have a big enough single piece left to do a 22" bass in the standard two pieces...so you'd need a third sheet...or to use three pieces on the bass drum. Those two small panels would be on the underside, so not a huge deal...depending on how fussy you are. You could probably easily sell off any excess from a third sheet but the upfront money is going to be steep. Around $500 for 2 sheets (with shipping and tax) and around $700 for three (assuming Precision doesn't cut you a deal on multiple sheets which might reduce the price somewhat...or that inflation hasn't hit the price of drum wrap yet...in which case it could be even more).

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Could do burgundy glitter. Or maybe check bum wrap. Myself is so burgundy and then the hoop inlays wmp or silver sparkle. Just to make it pop a little bit more. Also I’m not a purist lol