drummer

Reaction score
If one has two mid 60's OBP Sets
1. 9x13 16x16 14x22 Super Classic
2. 8x12 14x14 14x20 Downbeat
Hypothetically both are same condition
On the Vintage Market
is there a huge price difference between the two? Yes I am aware of prices for
14 " floor toms prices for all brands but wondering if this holds true as much with the Ringo factor.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think the Downbeat sizes (12/14/20) are always going to bring at least a bit more, even in Ringo world. A 1960s OBP 14x14 is the second most sought after drum size in that finish after a Jazz Festival.

drummer

Reaction score
Yea I know 14x20 TYPO.
I think the Downbeat sizes (12/14/20) are always going to bring at least a bit more, even in Ringo world. A 1960s OBP 14x14 is the second most sought after drum size in that finish after a Jazz Festival.
KO
First off I hope you're on the mend and thanks for taking the time to respond.
A well known drum shop near me has the Downbeat and I own the Superclassic. I was there for a clinic and we had a casual discussion regarding value of the 2 sets. He basically stated all things being equal there is a 2 grand difference on the open market that's why I am asking for opinions. So thanks and hoping others will chime in. I know my best bet is to sell
out right and pay cash.

drummer

Reaction score
I know that a Downbeat set or outfit as they were once known are generally worth more than a Super Classic no matter what the finish. But how much more is an OBP Downbeat vs an OBP Super Classic worth is what I'm asking. I know Ringo played a Downbeat first but moved on to the Super Classic and still plays a similar setup. So he's associated with both sets but more importantly his association is with the OBP finish and Ludwig name.
Again hit me up with some numbers I know some here follow and chart such info. Thanks