60s Ludwig vs Modern George Way

Austin__Taylor

Reaction score
I recently acquired a very special 60s Ludwig Club Date kit in Galaxy sparkle thanks to a forum member. As much as I love it, it seems to have nowhere near the tuning range nor resonance that my modern George Way kit has. Is that pretty typical or should I spend some more time messing with tunings? Any tips for getting the most out of these 60s Ludwig shells?

1656521668443.png

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I would think these would be like comparing apples to oranges as far as expecting similar results - I am guessing the
Way kit was built a certain way to obtain the wider tuning range and resonance and a 60's Ludwig kit is going to be
all warm and fuzzy -

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any tips for getting the most out of these 60s Ludwig shells?

My answer - Sell them.

Sorry, but for 60's Ludwigs, that's what I've found. 70's clear? Beautiful sound. 50's WFL? Incredible. It's not just the bearing edge profile (that is certainly some of the tuning range issue), but the execution of the edge, as well as other construction/production issues. Blame Ringo. Blame B2. But they WILL sell. For some reason.

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any older Luddies I’ve ever owned had a sweet spot. I basically stayed around there

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a lot of kits over the years but that 3-ply vintage Ludwig sound is now one of my favorites period. They may not be a one kit fits every gig type set but what they do offer, no other kit can offer. If you hit a well tuned 8x12 Ludwig 3-ply tom, it’s an amazing sound.

If I put them next to my maple Sonor hilite kit in same sizes, they would sound nothing alike.

That Ludwig dryness is part of the goodness.

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
That Ludwig dryness is part of the goodness.
Or maybe just part of the character, that part I agree with. But like the OP, I haven’t bonded with any of the 60s Ludwigs I have had. If it’s not your sound, no harm to just move them along to someone who will love them.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Edges were not a big deal in the 60,s like today. Roundover was fine. If the heads fit fine, so put a badge on it and ship it.
Today the "edge"is everything. They are sharper now, cut different ways, combine this and that spieces, etc etc.
I like the old round over edges, but im old so that makes sense.New and sharper edges make a huge difference, but not one i prefer.....I,ll take the Luds

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My answer - Sell them.

Sorry, but for 60's Ludwigs, that's what I've found. 70's clear? Beautiful sound. 50's WFL? Incredible. It's not just the bearing edge profile (that is certainly some of the tuning range issue), but the execution of the edge, as well as other construction/production issues. Blame Ringo. Blame B2. But they WILL sell. For some reason.

Second that... I started off on used white interior 60's Ludwigs (I blame Mitch Mitchell and Ginger Baker). They were really awful. Just toneless drums, out of round, big bulge where the scarf joints were glued together. Had to force the heads on and off.

I then bought a used Rogers Cleveland kit in the '70's (for $150 with brass 6.5" Powertone!).

The difference, especially in the toms, was night and day. From Junk to Cadillac.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Precision does amazing bearing edge re-cuts. Just sayin.

Reactions: T-2

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My old Ludwigs seem to have two or three sweet spots in tuning per drum and you adjust from there with head changes if necessary, but they sound great at those sweet spots. Unless the edges are truly damaged I wouldn’t recut them. Thats how old Ludwigs sound. If its not for you move them on to someone whos into it.

To find those sweet spots I find it easier sometimes to pull off the resonant head and tune the batter as a concert tom til I like what I’m getting, then introduce the resonant head and try it in different ranges

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep it, find its sweet spot and tune it there. Use your Geo Way kit for other tunings. Why have two kits that sound more alike than different? You're better off that each one has its own musical personality.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
What heads do you have on the Galaxy kit?

Mike

Austin__Taylor

Reaction score
Second that... I started off on used white interior 60's Ludwigs (I blame Mitch Mitchell and Ginger Baker). They were really awful. Just toneless drums, out of round, big bulge where the scarf joints were glued together. Had to force the heads on and off.

I then bought a used Rogers Cleveland kit in the '70's (for $150 with brass 6.5" Powertone!).

The difference, especially in the toms, was night and day. From Junk to Cadillac.
Having owned vintage Gretsch, Slingerland, Ludwig, and Rogers, I would absolutely agree that Rogers was the highest quality of them all. They're much more precise.

DrumPhil

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but I've never understood the love for center lugs. Those long tuning rods just scream "bend me!" I would be constantly scared of any bump bending the rods and having to replace them again.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but I've never understood the love for center lugs. Those long tuning rods just scream "bend me!" I would be constantly scared of any bump bending the rods and having to replace them again.
That’s why you keep a rubber mallet and a piece of wood handy !!!!!