60's Rogers Holiday Blue Sparkle kit revisited

joe seph

Reaction score
I agree. The stink of this transaction is increasing. Add ons without getting money up front? Sounds like the buyer was setting you up. Maybe Reverb can do a site visit to the buyer as they reps around the country. For extra items I'd have at least created a new listing with a "fat price" and had the buyer make the appropriate offer on so you got paid for it. Both you and Reverb should check out the buyer's history on Reverb. What have they bought? How many other "problem" transactions? If this were me I wouldn't be taking this laying down. It's your money, fight for it. Wouldn't it be interesting if the buyer were a member here too?

If you got your drums in the early 80's it's not so likely they were rewraps. And the edges were faded as you stated, then those were probably original blue sparkle wraps. If you took more detailed photos of all the "warts" on your drums for the Reverb ad, there would be no way for a buyer to make a swap for your drums and claim "foul." If you know of any "warts" on your kick drum or floor tom, present them to reverb as well. There had to have been marks or slights cuts in the wrap somewhere. Paper drum tags are hard to swap too. Ask the buyer for photos of those or a video of the drum in question including scarf joints. Of course those are things you should have verified long ago and documented in your ad.

The photos the buyer sent to EBay sure do look like rewraps....way different than the 12". Now have them send you video proof of those newer looking wraps having your badges on the inside. Who knows if those are your drums they photographed. They could be....or they might not be.
They can't be my bass or tom. The difference in color with the rims off was even more obvious than the 12". That's why he faked the pics. The rectangular patch on the 1st pic of the 12" looks like a match-even in the low light he used.That's a good idea with the tags Bass:43477 12" tom: 43651 Also a picture of the rust on 1 bass mount with drum edge also in the picture will be conclusive. He also claimed rash on the 12". There's none on the pictures I posted here and there, and it was shipped with enough bubble wrap to be tossed out of the plane at 30k. I was short on time and had offers right away when I posted. I'll do more pics. next time. If you look at all the pics I posted, they all look lighter or darker depending on the lighting. This is too minor an issue to demand a refund.
Pics from reverb I posted here did not transfer with original quality of pics he sent to Reverb.

joe seph

Reaction score
They can't be my bass or tom. The difference in color with the rims off was even more obvious than the 12". That's why he faked the pics. The rectangular patch on the 1st pic of the 12" looks like a match-even in the low light he used.That's a good idea with the tags Bass:43477 12" tom: 43651 Also a picture of the rust on 1 bass mount with drum edge also in the picture will be conclusive. He also claimed rash on the 12". There's none on the pictures I posted here and there, and it was shipped with enough bubble wrap to be tossed out of the plane at 30k. I was short on time and had offers right away when I posted. I'll do more pics. next time. If you look at all the pics I posted, they all look lighter or darker depending on the lighting. This is too minor an issue to demand a refund.
Pics from reverb I posted here did not transfer with original quality of pics he sent to Reverb.

joe seph

Reaction score
I would tell them all to go stick it way far up where the sun don’t shine and close the account. Unless of course reverb is holding your money ?
No, I got paid but he owes me $80. or so for shipping

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I feel like there is a lot important information that we are missing. I’ve never known Reverb to ask someone to separate a set. That is usually done between a seller and buyer agreement. Although the customer service can be challenging to reach by phone it’s very possible and each rep has a name and direct access number to continue a discussion/case. If you agreed to refund $220 Reverb probably provided a paid return label for the tom. So if I’m understanding this correctly you can just resell the tom for about that amount and get to the same place financially as selling the set has a whole item. Maybe there is no victim here just inexperience and communication issues.

Last edited:

joe seph

Reaction score
Luc P. of customer service is handling this very well- when we can get hold of each other. Yes, Ihave only provided the information people are asking about. Reverb did not ask me to separate the set. When the buyer complained about one of three drums in the set, I offered a discount and then offered to buy the whole set back. He declined and wanted to keep 2 out of the 3 drums. I did not agree to refund anything. That is what the buyer is asking reverb to do.
I believe many members here and elsewhere can benefit by knowing what issues they can encounter when selling (or buying) their drums. I hope you understand the issue of using 'fake' pictures to support a claim does create a victim and I hope others will be aware this happens.