60's Rogers questions.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
So the guitar player in one of my bands landed himself an early 60's Rogers set in black diamond pearl. They are actually 20,12,14 for the sizes, which I know is fairly scarce for Rogers.

The pros:

The set is in cool sizes and the wrap looks great.
All the hoops look original

The cons:

This was most likely a B&B set and someone in the 70's swapped out the broken B&B lugs for pearl lugs (without having to alter the holes).
Pearl tom mounts and legs were added to the set as well.
The pearl mount on the tom is a suspended mount and the original hole may have been widened to accept the tube.

My questions are:

Is it worth the money to do as much of a full restore back to original as possible?
The amount of money paid for this was next to nothing so is buying the repro B&B lugs worth the effort?
Are there different size B&B lugs that we need to worry about?
Will original Rogers collets cover the holes of the Pearl mount and bass drum legs?

I am going to help my friend try and get things back to original as this set looks like it could be really cool. This same friend already owns a Rogers top hat 20,12,12,16 from the mid 60's so this will be a great addition. What would you guys do?

Thanks!

Rogers1.jpg

Rogers2.jpg

Rogers3.jpg

Rogers4.jpg

Rogers6.jpg

Attachments

Titletown Tim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Kurt,

What is your guitarist’s ultimate goal for this? Flip or keep?
If it’s flip, he could just buy repo B&B lugs for the 14” floor and sell it separately. It should fetch a pretty good price on his own.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Kurt,

What is your guitarist’s ultimate goal for this? Flip or keep?
If it’s flip, he could just buy repo B&B lugs for the 14” floor and sell it separately. It should fetch a pretty good price on his own.
I think he wants to keep them. His other set is a 60's beavertail set in the same color so even though the lugs wouldn't match, he would have a 14" floor to go with the 20,12,12,16 sizes of the top hat set he had previously. Both of us hate to see stuff like this happen to cool drums so the ultimate goal would be to restore the set to as original condition as possible, and he would keep.

realistically, it already looks like the 12 and 14 will be totally fine with the repro lugs and a collet for the tom mount. The bass drum is the one with the most problems.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
personally , i would leave it as is .... the new bb lugs are expensive , and the pearl mount on the bass drum , man
that would be a hard fix .... great players set though imho
My friend has under $100 into this so we figure the cost of the lugs is more justifiable. The floor tom is a definite fix to original. I just wondered if a Rogers mount might cover the area where that fugly Pearl mount is. I would even put a Rogers mount over that even if a snare stand to hold the tom had to be used. Not sure if the legs are fixable. I have not seen the drums in person yet.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
like i said before , i would leave them as is .... do you have any pictures of the set ?
that pearl bass drum mount , i doubt a rogers would cover it

I only have the ones I posted. Sorry.

Reactions: bob

amosguy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there are not extra holes in the floor tom, those are original Rogers leg mounts.

BD legs a different story without better inside pictues.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
If there are not extra holes in the floor tom, those are original Rogers leg mounts.

BD legs a different story without better inside pictues.

The floor tom looms to be pretty original sans the correct lugs. I did a little research and unfortunately nobody seems to make the bread and butter lugs anymore. Just the snare drum ones. I have yet to see these in person so I will have to asses when I see them first hand. From the pics, the shells look great sans any extra holes.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it works like it is, leave it.

IMHO, unless you plan to fix all the wrongs, plug unnecessary holes or go as far as replace the finish due to any anomalies, I don't think the expense would justify any better value from the kit.

Enjoy as is.

It's now a Rogearl kit. Who else has one? HMMMMMM???????

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've rehabbed a few b&b kits and many snares it gets very very expensive.
Not worth it, will never be correct with the pearl bass hole. The good news is those are 3 ply Keller shells with the newer sharp bearing edge. Best sounding Rogers ever imho.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. I reached out to the current Rogers and while they make B&B snare lugs, they don't have tom lugs yet. They say they are working on it but they don't have a timeframe when they will be available. The gem of this set is definitely the floor tom and when and if those lugs become available, I'm going to encourage my friend to at least make the floor tom right. The 12" tom is probably fixable too if the lugs become available. The bass drum is probably a lost cause for bringing back to it's original glory.

For now the drums will have to live as is with perhaps a nice clean up in the near future. It just pains me to see that crappy looking hardware on there.

Exploder

Reaction score
I recently bought some Fullerton Rogers with Pearl Tom Mounts,
I used them at a gig last Saturday, The Pearl tom mounts didn't seems to effect the sound at all where as Big R tom mounts do muffle the drums.
I look at it as a players kit, i do need to get longer Pearl tom arms as the current ones were just not long enough to get the toms to a position i wanted on a 20 inch bass drum.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I would leave all the lugs alone.There was no drilling on those and what's there is bulletproof now. I would spend the money on having Jack Lawton plug/patch the bass shell and anything else that was drilled like that tom. Maybe I would try painting those black lug screws with a grey color, or replace them with more cosmetically appropriate screws/washers from the hardware store. A small change that would look a lot better, but not really imperative. Then replace all the missing mount hardware with the right parts.
That set is a transition set, b&b lugs but with the new-for-62 Keller shells. A sweet spot in Rogers production. Then play them. To me, this is most reasonable way to get them looking right and feeling right....

The Petty repro lugs are great, but they are no longer available. Anyway, the cost of a complete set of those would nearly buy you another unmolested kit.

I've restored a lot of these kits, a lot of good vibes come from repairing those holes.

Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I would leave all the lugs alone.There was no drilling on those and what's there is bulletproof now. I would spend the money on having Jack Lawton plug/patch the bass shell and anything else that was drilled like that tom. Maybe I would try painting those black lug screws with a grey color, or replace them with more cosmetically appropriate screws/washers from the hardware store. A small change that would look a lot better, but not really imperative. Then replace all the missing mount hardware with the right parts.
That set is a transition set, b&b lugs but with the new-for-62 Keller shells. A sweet spot in Rogers production. Then play them. To me, this is most reasonable way to get them looking right and feeling right....

The Petty repro lugs are great, but they are no longer available. Anyway, the cost of a complete set of those would nearly buy you another unmolested kit.

I've restored a lot of these kits, a lot of good vibes come from repairing those holes.
Thanks Dan. I'm sure we will try to repair as best as we can. I am hoping the new Rogers will at some point make a B&B lug for toms and bass drums as they said they were working on it. I know the cost of the lugs would be high but my friend paid $90 for them so if the holes can be fixed nicely enough, it could be worth it down the line for the correct lugs. I'm sure they are going to sound pretty good. Thanks for the help!

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah , keep them . and over time just wait for the right lugs to come his way . I wasn't aware that Pearl lugs are spaced for B&B 's .... always something to learn here at DFO .

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Oh yeah , keep them . and over time just wait for the right lugs to come his way . I wasn't aware that Pearl lugs are spaced for B&B 's .... always something to learn here at DFO .
I had no idea either. I have not yet seen the drums in person but I told my friend that I was going to be almost certain that the holes were messed with to fit the pearl lugs. He took one off and the holes look totally un-molested from the pic I got.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
^%#%*%#^}% Pearl!!!! This is exactly why I don’t even give any Pearl kit a second glance. Burn every last one of those damn things to the ground.

DD285D2A-4225-4791-9C82-083F53A33DE1.jpeg

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The kit looks sweet, I’d invest and restore it.