60's Trixon or Vox - whats the vibe like?

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agreed on all the comments here, as a former Trixon Owner.

But I do have to say, the Telstars are the Coolest looking drums one could ever own.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
My dad, the original owner of my Trixons, shares your assessment of the Trixon snare drums. He never liked the sound so he traded his in for a 60s Ludwig Super Sensitive. Doubtless a better sounding drum but I sure would have liked to get the matching snare. Roger - I see you're in Wisconsin - did you by chance work at Jim Laabs music? That's where my father purchased his set in the '60s.
I'm in Michigan (greater Lansing area). At the time I lived in Saginaw and taught at Gridley's Music Studio.

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a luxus set in gold and silver croc. the shells are very similar to the 60's sonor shells. 3/16" beech shells with rounded reinforcing rings.13x16x20 big round sound. I have some ludwig kits and a grectch stop sign badge kit. the sonor and trixon are my favorite sound a close second is my 60's ludwig orphan shell kit 12, 16, 22. Very innovative hardware although as others have said there is some plastic on the lug edges that can be problematic if already broken. The Vox are the same drums sans badge I believe.

Latest posts