70’s Niles Bop Kit

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Slingerland experts.
Can I get some opinions on this kit
It’s on EBay from Chicago Music Exc.
They say the FT is an add on and it has no re rings as do the other 2 drums.
I’ve been on the hunt for a Slingerland bop kit for along time. I realize it’s probably over priced for its condition.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thnx

Attachments

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I have a sweet spot for Slingerlands as I have a Stage Band kit in white marine pearl. That one looks nice. Probably 70's vintage? If you feel it's overpriced, will the system allow you to make them an offer below the stated price? If not, call them and see if you can negotiate over the phone. Everything is negotiable when it comes to used stuff and real estate. Good luck.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Better pics. I think the price is pretty nuts, on the other hand, it could be a while before you find one again. Those cracks in the floor tom outer ply seem pretty concerning too.

s-l400 (2).jpg
s-l400 (1).jpg
s-l400.jpg

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for improving the pics.
They already took $100 off on my first call. I’m guessing if not sold soon, I might get a few more $ off.
The cracks do concern me too.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They're asking those kind of prices only because bop kits are in vogue right now. But even considering that popularity, $1300 is outrageous because of the condition of the floor tom. If you pay $1000 for the kit, five years from now, when the trend wanes, you'll be fortunate of get $600 from it.

But, if you have your heart set on it and are willing to take the long-term hit, just try to get it for the best you can. I suspect that it will eventually go down to the $800 range before anybody bites.

GeeDeeEmm

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They're asking those kind of prices only because bop kits are in vogue right now. But even considering that popularity, $1300 is outrageous because of the condition of the floor tom. If you pay $1000 for the kit, five years from now, when the trend wanes, you'll be fortunate of get $600 from it.

But, if you have your heart set on it and are willing to take the long-term hit, just try to get it for the best you can. I suspect that it will eventually go down to the $800 range before anybody bites.

GeeDeeEmm
You are probably right.
If it were better cosmetically, i might have been more interested.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
3 thoughts

1. 95% of all 70’s Slingy 3-plies look like that floor tom’s outer ply on the inside . Not sure if they used greener wood or if their molding process used more moisture so it happened as the shells aged or what. But it’s not something that’s never been seen before. I have not interacted with enough of their 5-plies to say anything about them.

2. Anything from Chicago Music or Drum Exchange has at least 20% premium right on the top. It’s a colossal brick-and-mortar in a very hip Chicago neighborhood, and its not free for them and it just can’t be free for their customers.

3. $1400 is still too high for this kit. It’s not-exactly-matching, issues with the 14”, and dopey near-useless extra hole in the bass. I like this shop and the guys there, but if they can’t get this pretty close to $1k I‘d have no problem walking away. You’re really only here for the maple 18”. The other 2 are either a left-side 12” aka the most easily sourced drum there is or a not really matched floor tom with issues.

I’ve seen MINT 12/14/20 Slingys go for half what they’re asking here. That would be too hard for me to ignore.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
3 thoughts

1. 95% of all 70’s Slingy 3-plies look like that floor tom’s outer ply on the inside . Not sure if they used greener wood or if their molding process used more moisture so it happened as the shells aged or what. But it’s not something that’s never been seen before. I have not interacted with enough of their 5-plies to say anything about them.

2. Anything from Chicago Music or Drum Exchange has at least 20% premium right on the top. It’s a colossal brick-and-mortar in a very hip Chicago neighborhood, and its not free for them and it just can’t be free for their customers.

3. $1400 is still too high for this kit. It’s not-exactly-matching, issues with the 14”, and dopey near-useless extra hole in the bass. I like this shop and the guys there, but if they can’t get this pretty close to $1k I‘d have no problem walking away. You’re really only here for the maple 18”. The other 2 are either a left-side 12” aka the most easily sourced drum there is or a not really matched floor tom with issues.

I’ve seen MINT 12/14/20 Slingys go for half what they’re asking here. That would be too hard for me to ignore.
Thank you. You are right about my coveting the 18” BD. I have owned a few of the mint 20” kits myself.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Yeah. That price is insane. And the tom mount on the bass drum seems to be leaning a bit. Could be an optical illusion but it doesn't look like it is coming straight up off the bass drum. That and the cracks in the floor tom makes this a questionable purchase at any price, unless it's dirt cheap/

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah. That price is insane. And the tom mount on the bass drum seems to be leaning a bit. Could be an optical illusion but it doesn't look like it is coming straight up off the bass drum. That and the cracks in the floor tom makes this a questionable purchase at any price, unless it's dirt cheap/
Thanks, I’m falling out of love

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first thought is get that kit! Price is a little high but if you're not a flipper who cares. Those drums don't come along everyday. Those are the sizes and its a nice finish. If it was $1000 it would be a no brainer. Maybe they have wiggle room on the price?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think you could fill them for sure with wood filler/putty. But, I'm not sure where to get or how to make an "aged natural" finish. Maybe you could find a paint that would have a very similar color and could blend it in. You could probably do a poly wipe (a little bit, by hand) to cover/mask the little dots where the finish has worn off.......I'd have to see it.

(FYI, I am a very amateur drum restorer - guys on DFO are the real deal and/or wood or cabinet guys who probably have the "right" answers).

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
What are you paying for if you buy it? probably 40% will be the Chicago Music Exchange name. That being said, it is a decision you can make and can afford, there will be different opinions based on how precious that amount of money is to you.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It may have sold already.
I don’t see it on ebay anymore.
I agree with everyone’s comments.
At this point based on the responses I wont be going after it.
If it were in better shape, I’d probably be willing to pay up to $900
This condition would bother me, and I’d want to improve upon it in some way
Thanks All

Latest posts