70’s Pearl Fiberglass shell vs Wood-Fiberglass shell

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Has anyone tried both of these kits?
What is the difference in sound? I assume the wood-fiberglass shells are warmer and not as loud. However, I know Blakey played a Pearl all fiberglass shells in the 70’s-80’s for his Jazz stuff. Some of these kits I have heard on youtube really sing. Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

drumphils

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was a huge fan when these first came out. About 20+ years ago, even put together a double bass 10pc concert tom set. Still have a 22” and a double lug 12”
They aren’t light, the wood ones are even heavier. I’ve played a wood one but not owned one. Warmer? Natural muted sound by comparison is how I would describe it. All fiberglass can do the same depending on heads and tuning but I’d think wood couldn’t be as versatile in the long run.

Phil

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first kit was a 1976 Pearl Wood-Fiberglass kit. I played it for nearly 15 years before selling it and getting out of drumming for a few years.
When I decided to play again it never entered my mind to find the same kit. Years later that non-decision was only reaffirmed when I played the exact same kit that had been purchased in the same week, from the same shop, by a childhood friend. Same kit and year just white rather than black finish.
The drums sounded exactly like my original kit, and was equally uninspiring. It wasn’t a bad kit by any means and one would think the nostalgia of hearing that kit for a decade and a half would have sparked some romance.
But nope. Nearly every decent quality kit I’ve played since spoke to me more so than the Pearl wood-fiberglass.
I was even excited when Pearl reissued those drums a few years ago. But upon hearing the demos it was the same unexpected reaction. I just felt they sounded bland.
I still find this strange as I am both a gear nut and a nostalgia-holic. But I never felt any attachment to them despite having an almost unhealthy attachment to some of my current drums. Go figure.
4288C13A-DDE8-4585-BD99-5F19C35BF590.jpeg

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wood fiberglass are more focused and drier . Naturally eq'd with the heavily textured interiors . They record nicely with minimal foozling . 9 nine ply luan with a thick resin coating will favour the mids in tuning .

The considerably thinner shells of the pure fiberglass have a deep bottom end rumble and growl .

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had both in my 1977 special order Pearl kit. If I could go back in time, knowing what I know now, I would have gone all fiberglass.

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW-I have a 14" w/fg shell I'm not using if anyone needs/wants it!

healthie1

Reaction score
I’ve had both; I played the W/F more, I’m still slowly cleaning up a fiberglass -

i really likes the wood fiberglass. I think of these both as hidden vintage drums - they generally don’t sell for a ton and they’re not a collectors drum like ludwigs or Gretsch, and if they come up cheap I’d grab them.