70’s Tama Superstar Snare, what is this finish?

tothehilt

Reaction score
Serial number is 88160. The drum apparently has been refinished, but the inside left intact and it doesn’t look like any finish Tama used. Perhaps Super Mahogany or Cherry Red? It is caramel colored, maple, but not like the Super Maple they stained, it is much darker.

Attachments

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tama 'maple' of late 70's early 80's was actually birch, and re-ringed like that. I suspect that is a natural maple (i.e. birch) re-stained darker. Wood grain does not look mahogany to me. Nice drum.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
probably the best catalog the 77 for the brief ?) ringed -era...Man they got- they weren't yet- super popular soon after...
wow; they were hardly heard of.. that changed Quick.

Interesting the Spartan stand hardware was in that catalog.
few stands - to this day- looked like those..

Last edited:

tothehilt

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I didn’t see the walnut finish as it was discontinued. Does the serial number indicate year back then. Would 88160 make this a 78, or is it not that simple? The bade has a Rommel hole, I did read that it was nailed on at first.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The '77 catalog lists it as Natural Walnut which was a matte finish. '78 listed it as Custom Mahogany. Again a matte finish. In '79 they started the Super Mahogany finish which was a high gloss finish. They did away with the Re-Rings in '80, possibly '79 so yours would be either Natural Walnut or Custom Mahogany depending on the year it was made.

Last edited:

tothehilt

Reaction score
Hmm, this 78 catalog, lists Natural Walnut but no Custom Mahogony.

But I take it this is either a 77 or 78, correct?

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got mine from drumarchive.com. It says copyright 1978 on the back page. There may be an early and late '78 catalog or the one from the Tama website may be listed incorrectly as '78.

tothehilt

Reaction score
Yes, I see it now on your link. Page 16 shows an entire kit and that does look like the color of the interior of my snare. Mine is not dark enough to be any walnut finish I have ever seen.
I guess that would make this drum a '78 as it seems that was the only year they made this finish.

Thanks for all your help! This forum is a great resource.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mine is not dark enough to be any walnut finish I have ever seen.

But, Tama had some interesting hues that varied over time. Their take on Walnut in the mid-late 70s is definitely NOT the same as say ... Gretsch or Slingerland (79). Tama's Natural Walnut was more caramel than dark.
Not saying unequivically that this is Natural Walnut ... I'm not holding the drum to verify. Just saying you cannot rely on your own historical perspective of how others did "walnut" when comparing it to Tama's version.
Good luck with your search.

tothehilt

Reaction score
Ha, yes they sure don't make it easy! Still the picture in the 77 catalog of a Natural Walnut drum looks much darker than mine, so I am going to go with the Custom Mahogany as the most likely finish. Thanks!