70's-80's Tama Imperialstars

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is this the right leg bracket?
That looks correct. Though nearly $30 delivered is stiff for one of these. And LCM is not a source I'd ever use. Earlier this year a friend of mine found 3 leg brackets and 3 legs for $50 via Ebay for his 1976-77 18" Imperialstar platinum floor tom. That was a decent deal. I know he wouldn't mind parting out his floor tom....but not just for the legs/mounts. And to make it harder....a previous owner black powder coated all the chromed lugs. He paid $15 for the shell with lugs....but now has $120 into it adding the rims/legs/mounts/tension rods.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Why in the hell would someone do that? Are they even real as I don’t see the fiberglass coating inside?
Cheap way to get a new kit.
Buy some shells (Keller Maple, I'm thinking) and just transpose the hardware from your existing kit onto them.
Sell off the old shells and voila, new drums!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just took at gamble on a set of SHELL ONLY Imperialstars. They were located near a friend of mine, and he's going to hold them for me until I can pick them up. As you can see, these are shells only, ZERO hardware, so I have some work to do. Anyone have some guidance on where to start looking for lugs, bass drum mount, floor tom leg mounts, etc.? I'm not terribly concerned with keeping the hardware original, so if there are good modern options that's ok too. My main goal is to get a 3 piece set up completed first, filling in the rest over time. Sizes are 24/18/15/14/13/12, biggest set I've ever had, so that's neat.

View attachment 405550 View attachment 405551
I see two drumkits in there.
An 18/12/14 bop kit with a short floor tom.
...and...
A 24/13/15 Rock kit.

.....it could work...

Nice looking shells, anyway. Congrats on your latest grab. =)

Elvis

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
You'll just have to be patient for those parts. But they do show up decently priced from time to time. But most of them on Ebay and Reverb tend to be over-priced. I recently had a Tama Imperialstar floor tom with repro leg brackets and legs. And they were very close in appearance to the real thing. I just assumed they were Gibraltars. Maybe they were another manufacturer?
WorldMax or Lea Hung has a repro bracket that is close...

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
this looks like a great project. personally, i would restore some of the drums to make a working kit, whatever sizes you prefer. sell whatever shells you have left to finance the project. then, you have a lifetime working kit!!

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cheap way to get a new kit.
Buy some shells (Keller Maple, I'm thinking) and just transpose the hardware from your existing kit onto them.
Sell off the old shells and voila, new drums!
I would rather have the shells. The OP’s lucky.

Reaction score
I don’t feel too lucky. This is definitely costing slightly more than I anticipated just to get a 3 piece going. Thankfully, I just like raising old stuff like this from the grave, so it’s enjoyable for me.

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t feel too lucky. This is definitely costing slightly more than I anticipated just to get a 3 piece going. Thankfully, I just like raising old stuff like this from the grave, so it’s enjoyable for me.
I bet u can find a swing star on the cheap

chillybase

Reaction score
Someone near my town is selling this kit. You could probably use the hardware off of it.

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It seems the Imperialstars on ebay and reverb, are all priced high. if you can find them on craigslist or offerup, you can find them much cheaper. Time is your friend on this endeavor. What all do you still need?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Vintage Imperialstars and Swingstars pop up all the time now....and at about $40-$60 per drum average in a 5 piece kit. And you typically won't get hardly any additional money for a kit if it has hardware. Re-rings or no rings doesn't make a lot of difference....except for those few people looking specifically for re-rings. Most won't pay any real premium for them. I recently picked up this "modest" - 1 owner - 1978 Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 kit.

best 1.jpg

Last edited:

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry to dredge up an old thread. Have been clawing away at getting a 3-piece set playable. eBay was helpful for a lot of it, as was the vintage Tama Facebook group. Just found a tone control knob today (though they are low on my to do list).

However, I have reached an impasse at floor tom leg brackets. I tried modern Gibraltar replacements, and they were very close but did not fit.

If anyone has 3 leg brackets they’d like to sell, please DM me. Also looking for tom mount brackets as well.
The reason may be that the floor tom leg brackets would break after years and years. I finished my 70s/80s Imperial star rest-mod late summer- there are pics in the My Tama Resto-Mod thread. You might be able to find a full drum and canabalize it for parts. I had to take the spurs off my old kit to finish my bass drum. The old big kit (7 pc) is my next project. They are great drums when you put some love into them. I know eVeNsTeVeN has a set of these too that he has restored. The most expensive thing for the kit I fixed up was the wrap. I did the whole thing for just under 700 (3 drums).

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Floor toms and the tiny toms are the keys to the Imperialstar kits. Even the 16" floor tom brings decent money. So finding parts in the wild for one isn't that easy. And no one is going to part out a decent 18" tom to help bring back a 16" tom unless it's a very rare color.

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Stan Lynch used an Imp kit on all of the TP/Heartbreakers records he did from what I understand.

Latest posts