70's-80's Tama Imperialstars

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's a lot of rock users of Imperialstars in the first half of the 1980's. Last time I compiled a list it was over a dozen names in fairly well known acts. Liberty Devitto, Frank Beard, Gil Moore to name 3 more. The Tama brochures often don't show enough of the endorsee's drum to figure out of it's Superstar or Imperialstar.

Last edited:

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Floor toms and the tiny toms are the keys to the Imperialstar kits. Even the 16" floor tom brings decent money. So finding parts in the wild for one isn't that easy. And no one is going to part out a decent 18" tom to help bring back a 16" tom unless it's a very rare color.
The 18s are near IMPOSSIBLE to find cheap. That's one of the reasons I went with an 80s 16" Royalstar on mine.

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The key to restorations like this is patience. There are a lot of old Tamas still out in the wild and if you're diligent with your search, you will eventually find enough cheap mismtched sets (with that one drum you need), projects and orphans to put a good set together. If you want it quick and pay full retail for everything, then yes, it can get expensive.

RetiredDrummer

Reaction score
I have a set of these that I am wanting to sell. How many ply are they. I want to say somebody told me back in the day that they were 10 ply. I am going to have to do some research on here & elsewhere to find out what they are really worth. Not your basic sized shells. Top toms I believe are 12" & 13" floor toms are huge at 18" & 20" & kick is the larger 24". I used this in the 90's as a road kit. Very sturdy & loud kit!

Reaction score
The key to restorations like this is patience. There are a lot of old Tamas still out in the wild and if you're diligent with your search, you will eventually find enough cheap mismtched sets (with that one drum you need), projects and orphans to put a good set together. If you want it quick and pay full retail for everything, then yes, it can get expensive.
Oh yes. I am still very patiently putting this one together. I found some modern floor tom leg brackets to hold me over. Still searching for original kick hoops and tone control knobs, no rush though.

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
I have a set of these that I am wanting to sell. How many ply are they. I want to say somebody told me back in the day that they were 10 ply. I am going to have to do some research on here & elsewhere to find out what they are really worth. Not your basic sized shells. Top toms I believe are 12" & 13" floor toms are huge at 18" & 20" & kick is the larger 24". I used this in the 90's as a road kit. Very sturdy & loud kit!
What color? I would love a 20" Floor in Midnight Blue....

Latest posts