70's Ludwig curverd spurs

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if anybody makes a repro 70's Ludwig curved spur that is longer than the original. I'm talking about the thin kind too. I have a set in my citrus mod 71 set and I am wishing that I could get a little more height out of the bass drum. It almost seems like this would have worked better if Ludwig had mounted the mounts just a tad lower. I like my bass drum to come up off the floor a little and I'm just not getting enough lift. Thanks!

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Kurt, forgive me if this is something you've already checked, but some of those curved spur back plates were installed upside down at Ludwig. That positions the spurs at a higher angle out of the shell. If the screws are at the top of the plate then it's upside down. Flipping it over should fix the problem. Here's the plate in one of mine that was doing the same thing as yours. You can still see the lighter area where the plate covered prior to flipping it over. It drove me crazy before I figured that out.

0155102D-7CCD-4EE3-B4D3-FCB735754471.jpeg

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Kurt, forgive me if this is something you've already checked, but some of those curved spur back plates were installed upside down at Ludwig. That positions the spurs at a higher angle out of the shell. If the screws are at the top of the plate then it's upside down. Flipping it over should fix the problem. Here's the plate in one of mine that was doing the same thing as yours. You can still see the lighter area where the plate covered prior to flipping it over. It drove me crazy before I figured that out.

View attachment 428917

Son of a biscuit.... I never would have thought of that. I will look and see if that is the case. That would be great if this is all I had to do. Thank you!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 428917
That's a GREAT tip! Thanks for posting that. Hope it works for him.

GeeDeeEmm

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

View attachment 428917
When I received my new Ludwig Classic maple set in 2011, the plates were mounted upside down. So I guess that can still be an issue!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
You're very welcome! Please let us know if that's what it is.
you are the man! In all my years of collecting Ludwigs I never would have guessed this one. Thanks a million!

Attachments

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At first I was thinking... "WTH is up with this, I can get my 26's off the floor no problem???
That's a simple easy little fix to get those spurs working like they should... thanks for updating with the follow-up pics as well.

Latest posts