70's Ludwig RWB kit

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So there's this kit I have my eye on, but I'm not sure of the value and I don't want to over pay. It's a 70's Ludwig kit 12, 13, 16, 22 with Red, white and blue sparkle wrap. I've always wanted one of these kits and this one is in ok shape for the age. I've not seen it in person but I have seen the pics. Some light pitting on the chrome and some scratching on the wrap and a minor ding, interiors look good and far as I can tell, nothing too terrible. The guy is asking 2k for it. This seems a little high to me, but I'm not an expert on vintage. I'll post a few pics, please let me know what you think a fair price would be. Thanks!

thumbnail-1.jpeg
thumbnail-2.jpeg
thumbnail-3.jpeg
thumbnail-4.jpeg
thumbnail-5.jpeg
thumbnail-6.jpeg
thumbnail-7.jpeg
thumbnail-8.jpeg
thumbnail-9.jpeg
thumbnail-10.jpeg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree - $1K is a good starting point. I'd treat them as any other old average shape Ludwig kit ($7-800) and maybe $200 for the "rare" colors.....

Inside of the tom looks natural, but does the FT have mahogany???

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The red, white and blue doesn't add much value when it's in that poor of condition. I would offer $1,000 and tell him the drums are beat to hell, therefore you're cutting his price in half. He's going to reject your offer or counter. Do not start bargaining. Let him sit on your offer and decide how long he wants to hold on to them, because no one will bite at his asking price unless they're desperate and have more money than sense.

He might eventually tell you he'll take $1k, and that's when you tell him the offer is now $750, and do not go above $850.

$2,000? What a jerk.

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The red, white and blue doesn't add much value when it's in that poor of condition. I would offer $1,000 and tell him the drums are beat to hell, therefore you're cutting his price in half. He's going to reject your offer or counter. Do not start bargaining. Let him sit on your offer and decide how long he wants to hold on to them, because no one will bite at his asking price unless they're desperate and have more money than sense.

He might eventually tell you he'll take $1k, and that's when you tell him the offer is now $750, and do not go above $850.

$2,000? What a jerk.
This is more or less the path I was planning on taking. Just wanted to get some feedback on value. Thanks you guys.

levelpebble

Reaction score
If those were offered in completely cleaned up condition, then $2k is not out the question for an initial asking price. But they are dirty, and that's at least 4 hours of work if you choose. Amortize that.

However, they seem to be complete (add $), unmolested (add $), 3 ply (add $), and an uncommon and interesting finish (add $) in what MOST LW guys say is the sweetest spot of LW sound (add $).

I think many of you are good at the low-ball. I wouldn't take a dime less than $1700 for that kit if it were mine. Of course I would be offering them in spotless condition, but that's just me. And I would probably toss in a pitted supra.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And how about the one just listed here for 2k plus shipping about a month ago. Appears to have sold the same day. Perhaps it’s the same set.

Last edited:

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And how about the one just listed here for 2k plus shipping about a month ago. Appears to have sold the same day. Perhaps it’s the same set.

Wow, very good eye. Looks like the same kit. The fade levels are the same and the 13 of both sets appears to have the same round gash. There’s also Pinstripes on both kits and blue painter’s tape marking the heads in the same manner. Guess someone wants their money back, especially if they’re still asking for $2k without the Supra and all the hardware that was included before.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree with LevelP. I'd clean them up a bit and then stay firm on my price......heck, maybe even thrown in a $100 B/O Acro to "sweeten the deal" for you.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Those just don't come up very often, at least I don't see them and I've been looking. There's a good bit of interest in them. $2000 is definitely on the high end but you know there could always be someone out there with plenty of money just waiting for that kit.

tmc333

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those just don't come up very often, at least I don't see them and I've been looking. There's a good bit of interest in them. $2000 is definitely on the high end but you know there could always be someone out there with plenty of money just waiting for that kit.
Agree, no harm in asking $2000 for a kit like that. It doesn’t make him a jerk for asking a lot of money for an item. Take whatever the market gives you.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Although the wrap is less than common, is it really any sort of white whale that should command a premium, like a psychedelic red that still has its green, or a mod orange with its purple, or an oyster black pearl 14x14? I don't think $2k is what the market will give you with that wrap in near-player condition, I think it's just a guy trying to cover his losses because he sunk too much money into a kit that doesn't look good in person. Why else would someone buy a kit with its snare and hardware at such a high price and then try to sell the drums for the same price? Even if he sells the hardware and Supra that came with it that's maybe $500 you've made, but only after you manage to sell a kit that's pretty well beat to hell with a high asking price.

You don't spend $2k to make $500 or break even. I really don't see the logic in it.

Last edited:

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What’s with the mahogany B/O badge floor tom?
Have not seen that before.

Latest posts