70s Ludwig stainless steel value

verminator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What is a fair price for a four piece Ludwig Stainless Steel kit from around 1977? The kit is a possible trade from a guy who knows a guy kinda thing and I currently don’t have any pics. Sizes are 8x12, 9x13, 16x16 and 14x22. The kit has the original tom holder and is overall being described as in above average condition with pedal rash on the bd hoops. I’ve searched extensively on the inter webs only to find inconclusive evidence. A single bass drum sold for almost $600 on the bay, a rack tom for $350. Then I see a seven piece kit (standard toms) just sold for $1150 on a full auction. Reverb has a few three piece kits as being sold around $1400 and current listings around $2300 for a kit like the one I’m looking at. Have any of you sold or bought a stainless steel kit under normal circumstances lately (not a garage sale find lol) and if so what was the price range? My first inclination was that the should be valued around $1500 but am now beginning to doubt that. Thanks all

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps, but this one has been sitting on gc.com for at least the last 4 months. And it comes with a supra.

IMO, SS kits don't command big prices these days unless theyre larger sizes. 26" and 24" kicks, 14" and 15" toms (like actual non-concert, non-coverted-from-a-snare toms) and 18" floors will all get big money on their own, but the standard sizes don't get too much love. Which is a shame because I find them to be AMAZING drums. If you can get that kit for around $1200 I would jump on it. $1500 is too high IMO.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The shine of the bearing edge suggests the tom is stainless, but you might gets pics of the interiors to ensure they’re all stainless if you don’t know the seller. Believe it or not, I’ve seen guys list COW and COV kits as stainless. Not sure if it’s been out of ignorance or dishonesty.

verminator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The shine of the bearing edge suggests the tom is stainless, but you might gets pics of the interiors to ensure they’re all stainless if you don’t know the seller. Believe it or not, I’ve seen guys list COW and COV kits as stainless. Not sure if it’s been out of ignorance or dishonesty.
Thanks for the heads up. I had a stainless kit a few years ago that came and went before I ever played it with seriousness.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
70's Ludwig SS shells sound great, if in round and well tuned. They can sound amazing at any dynamic level. Volume is a function of touch.

Before you commit, verify the shells are in round. Lots of folks back then took the bottom heads off and traveled without the drums being in hard cases, which led to some shells going out of round. Otherwise, you, a mallet and a thick towel are going to have to spend some time on them so they'll tune well. If you get them within 1/8" or so, they should be fine. I say this based on experience with a 9x13 that came with a kit I bought.

SKSMITH

Reaction score
My friend Ron that used to play with Plaid Cattle here is St. Louis has had a 13/16/18/22 set for the 30 years that I've known him. I love them (and hope to get them out of him someday!).
Steve

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps, but this one has been sitting on gc.com for at least the last 4 months. And it comes with a supra.

IMO, SS kits don't command big prices these days unless theyre larger sizes. 26" and 24" kicks, 14" and 15" toms (like actual non-concert, non-coverted-from-a-snare toms) and 18" floors will all get big money on their own, but the standard sizes don't get too much love. Which is a shame because I find them to be AMAZING drums. If you can get that kit for around $1200 I would jump on it. $1500 is too high IMO.
Agreed. It sounds like a good price, but a SS Ludwig in Bonham's sizes would be ridiculously priced. Well, unless you get very lucky.
I've been wanting a Bonham sized kit forever, and finally got one, but I don't know how good it will sound?
I'm waiting on heads before I even set up. It's a Yestayear B/B never used. 13, 14, 16, 18.
A SS Ludwig, I wouldn't hypothetically play The Price is Right on that one.
I guess it comes down to...do you like it?

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not only Stainless but other Ludwigs I see a range of prices. Stainless haven't had or dealt with in quite a while, but when I researched them I noticed they were even more widely priced. I would think if you're interested that the lower end of the prices seen these days would be more fair, because the higher priced ones are generally fishing expeditions.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not only Stainless but other Ludwigs I see a range of prices. Stainless haven't had or dealt with in quite a while, but when I researched them I noticed they were even more widely priced. I would think if you're interested that the lower end of the prices seen these days would be more fair, because the higher priced ones are generally fishing expeditions.
Have you seen any with the 26,15,16,18 config?
If so, what are they running on ave?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is awesome. I would figure there would be all kinds of crazy overtones, but everyone I've heard sounded amazing. (All 3 lol) I guess it's similar, in ways, to the LM402. I can get so many flavors out of that drum. I have other snares, but I don't even bother anymore.
If I could find the 26 config, I'd definitely pay. These days a 15 is a fairly large FT. On the big kit, it's mounted, and sounds incredible.
I hope you get a lifetime of use. If I'm lucky enough to find one, I'll be coming at ya with lots of questions.