70's oyster blue

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I have been watching this set on CL for a while now. I didn't post anything in case someone was trying to grab them but they are still for sale. This is one super cool set! matching jazzfest too which is super rare. Sure it's $2500.00 but the sizes are awesome, the finish is awesome and the condition looks great. It's not in the cards for me but I can drool over the keyboard though. Is this anyone's set from here?

https://denver.craigslist.org/msg/d/colorado-springs-1971-ludwig-downbeat/7049578630.html

1578687272722.png

Tanabata

Reaction score
I really like that wrap. I have a set that's pretty much dead mint, just got lucky finding it. I wasn't crazy about the wrap at first, but I like it now. This is
IMG_0957.JPG
IMG_0956.JPG
a born together 1970 set that I got from the original owner. Sounds great too. They almost never look as good in a photo as in real life.

Attachments

drumfx

Reaction score
Might be bowling ball but still very nice. oyster blue pearl on the right.
images-2.jpg
images-3.jpg

drumfx

Reaction score
I really like that wrap. I have a set that's pretty much dead mint, just got lucky finding it. I wasn't crazy about the wrap at first, but I like it now. This is View attachment 422837 View attachment 422838 a born together 1970 set that I got from the original owner. Sounds great too. They almost never look as good in a photo as in real life.
Do you nap from time to time with your drums or in em' i should say?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love that bowling ball finish. And 20" 3-ply Ludwig bass drums from that era can knock a building down.

Dan

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have been watching this set on CL for a while now. I didn't post anything in case someone was trying to grab them but they are still for sale. This is one super cool set! matching jazzfest too which is super rare. Sure it's $2500.00 but the sizes are awesome, the finish is awesome and the condition looks great. It's not in the cards for me but I can drool over the keyboard though. Is this anyone's set from here?

https://denver.craigslist.org/msg/d/colorado-springs-1971-ludwig-downbeat/7049578630.html

View attachment 422826
Bee-yoo-ti-full! Of course, taking a picture of drums for a Craigslist ad seems to drive people to certain set-up designs. Even cats with decent drums just can't seem to help themselves...

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
...and one could find a stray 22" to join the family, though sticking to the rail mount theme would narrow availability.

That matching snare!

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just wow! What a beautiful kit with matching Jazz Fest and what looks to be the original bass logo head. Twenty five hundred, maybe. We all know sizes, condition, modifications, born together serial #'s, original/unoriginal parts etc.... determine the value.
Coy

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Very desirable kit . No shot of the strainer , I'm sure that's not intentional .

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That kit is absolutely gorgeous/beautiful. Love it. But that's a "fishing" price, I'm sure. Either that, or the owner has been spending too much time on the Maxwell site. But too, if you don't ask...!

GeeDeeEmm

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
After thinking about this set overnight after I first posted, I contacted the owner to see if he would be interested in shipping and what his best price would be including shipping. I even told him that if he was not interested in shipping that he could just drop the drums off at his local Fed ex store and let them do the packing. I can find a 22 or 24 to go along with this and put the 20 in storage. A 1 up 2 down with matching snare in this finish doesn’t come around, ever! So if the owner is willing to deal and ship I’m going to go for it

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
When I do the math on this the basic kit as a three-piece is worth 1250 on a good day. The 16 inch floor Tom is worth 400. and some of you may think I’m a little crazy but the snare drum doesn’t come around and on a good day could be worth up to 1000, so the sellers asking price really isn’t that far off, not that I will pay that much

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I do the math on this the basic kit as a three-piece is worth 1250 on a good day. The 16 inch floor Tom is worth 400. and some of you may think I’m a little crazy but the snare drum doesn’t come around and on a good day could be worth up to 1000, so the sellers asking price really isn’t that far off, not that I will pay that much
Hope you hear back soon with a positive response. Yes, he's asking top dollar, but I hope he realizes there's a relatively small amount of interested buyers and will be open to a fair negotiation. Good luck!

-Mark

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
After thinking about this set overnight after I first posted, I contacted the owner to see if he would be interested in shipping and what his best price would be including shipping. I even told him that if he was not interested in shipping that he could just drop the drums off at his local Fed ex store and let them do the packing. I can find a 22 or 24 to go along with this and put the 20 in storage. A 1 up 2 down with matching snare in this finish doesn’t come around, ever! So if the owner is willing to deal and ship I’m going to go for it

I think it's pretty cool that you are thinking about getting these. 70's downbeats are pretty rare as it is and this one looks to be in great shape. If that snare is the real deal then I think that price is not far off. Not only are downbeats from the 70's rare, so are jazzfests. I also look at it this way; If I ordered this set brand new in legacy maple, I would easily be paying this if not more.

My problem is that I just don't need anymore drums now and as much as I love these, I could never justify it. It checks off every box for me though!

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I might as well jump on the bandwagon. 22 -13-16- Supra ( 6.5 ). The kit was puchased with an additional 14 TT. I seldom use it. As far as the kit that is posted by the OP .. A OBP Jazzfest??? The last time I searched, someone had one that they were asking nearly $2500 so $2500 for the kit on CL is not that over the top. I was actually considering having someone cut down my 14 TT and making it a SD but then the thought of destroying one drum to create a "fake" Jazzfest doesn't seem to be the right thing to do. When I purchased my kit, if I recall, the catalogues showed nearly all the configurations with a chrome SD. I thought having a SD with the same wrap as the kit was dorky. After all John Bohham was slamming down on Supras ( I think? ) so I don't think Ludwig produced many OBP Jazzfests.

MyKit.JPG