70's Pearl Fiberglass Concert Tom Mounting Question

NewVintage

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've purchased my first pair of Pearl concert toms. They have the clip/slotted style tom mount like bongo mounts instead of the conventional tom arm mount. Do I have to use a vintage Pearl stand for them or will another stand work? I could just install RIMSs or other tom mounts but like the simplicity of the slots. Thoughts?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don’t think those clips are compatible with other brands. I’d sooner replace the clips than track down and lug around an old pearl stand.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pearl was a bit hardware crazy back in the day. I believe the clips were held on with 4 bolts for each shell and the hole spacing is unique to Pearl, which means extra holes if you go with other hardware. I would fill 2 of the vertical holes with epoxy, then use an INDe Tom bracket that is adjustable from 1 to 2 inches.

Last edited:

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What sizes did you get? Even if you went the INDe route (you would want to get the BR2 brackets), you could simply plug the extra holes with a round headed, short shanked bolt. The holes are small enough that they would barely be noticeable and they'll have no adverse audible affects on those nice thin fiberglass shells.

KevinD

Reaction score
This is what the stand looks like (ain't cheap) I have a Pearl 8 &10" tom set up with the stand. (the ones below are not mine I just found them on EBay) but I can dig mine out and take photos if you need some closer details.

This is what the clip looks like (4 screws as mentioned above)

It is possible something could be fabricated and attached to a stand to hold the clips but I like the INDE idea, that is probably the best route to take.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I would first try to use original Pearl clip stands. They came in 2 sizes depending on the depth of the concert toms that fit on them. I had a Pearl set when I was younger, with 4 concert toms. The neck of the stand for the higher drums was longer and the neck for the lower drums was shorter with a wood block between them. That being said you might be able to utilize other brand but they all had different widths and thickness of the metal was different. so you'd need to measure the dimensions of the mount on your drum then try to get proper thickness of the metal stand. As far as filling the holes, not sure how easy that could be done. It might be easier to pick a type of tom stand that could then be placed over the existing area of the former clip mount. I would try to avoid drilling of large holes that take more shell material than necessary. Good luck!

Latest posts