70's Slingerland 10" Shell Question

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I just picked up a set of Slingerland 70's 10-14" concert toms w/stands.
They are in fair condition. The Mahogany stain finish is kind of beat up.
When I took the heads off, the ten-inch is a different shell configuration. The 12, 13, and 14 all have the usual Slingy 3-ply w/rings (top and bottom), and moderately well-done edges. But the 10" looks to be five, maybe six-ply, and has virtually no bearing edge. The badges are all close in number (putting them all around 1976), and the ten badge doesn't look to have been tampered with, nor does the metal band around the bottom edge. The finish matches perfectly. It's clearly not a counterfeit (and who would put that much trouble into something like that?). So then I thought maybe someone cut off the top edge of the 10, or removed the re-ring. No, the lugs are the same distance from the shell as the rest of them.

Did Slingerland not make many 10" back then, so the didn't have the capacity to put re-rings in? On top of that, did they just forget to put a bearing edge on this one? Made on a Friday afternoon?

Any clues, or hypotheses are welcome.
IMG_6533.jpg
IMG_6532.jpg
IMG_6531.jpg
IMG_6530.jpg

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We’ve seen this before. The 10” toms were different for some reason. I don’t have a explanation just that there are pictures of other 10’s with different shells.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
10" in the three ply era should have re-rings. Yours does look like a 5 ply. I'm not sure when they moved from 3 ply to 5 ply but both Ludwig and Slingerland are known to have shipped kits out with a mix of shell types during those transition phases.

Last edited:

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I'm bumping this in hopes of someone being able to provide more info. Thanks again, folks.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think Slingerland bought those shells from someone. It would make sense. I sold a 70’s 10” last year. As Rich said- they have a vertical inner ply. Why? Because they’re two ply shells with rings. Essentially a three ply shell missing the inner ply. I imagine this made it possible to bend the shell.

Latest posts