70's zildjian 15 in new beats

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
So I'm seeing 1410g over 1470g? If I'm seeing it correctly that means those are matched hats not New Beats.

The New Beat ratio in 15" cymbals is top about 67% of the bottom. The average weights for 15" New Beat tops and bottoms is 1027g over 1527g. That's based on a sample of n=23 in my database. Roughly the same ratio as in the 14" hats (where I have a much bigger sample) which is currently holding at 71%. But the New Beat ratio varies a bit with production era:

http://black.net.nz/avedis/new-beats.html#NBtop

Based on those weights (and consulting the standard weight category names) I'd say you have a "medium heavy weight" pair of 70s matched hats. Might be just what drumphils was looking for after all...

Oh, and the hollow ink Zildjian logo on the bottom is dated to 1978-1980 according to Paul Francis (Director of R & D at Zildjian). He mentioned it in the video release of the new Avedis line. That's consistent with the 1970s stamp on them. As is the look of the hammering and lathing.

Good luck with the sale.

drumphils

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Giving it more thought now that I see the weights.

Was looking for a back-up similar to these 15's that I purchased new in '73 or '74

1097 over 1550

Attachments

FFR428

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll take them if they are still up for grabs. Sending PM.