header.nohb.html

8 Bands Who Were Considered to be the Next Beatles, But Could Never Fill Their Shoes

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
The Beatles were the Beatles. Whomever comes next is whomever. The concept of “next Beatles” always was laughable to me. The only way there would be a “next Beatles” would be to clone all of them, including George Martin, Brian Epstein and Pete Best. Even then, they probably would be something else.

LauraCai

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wait wasn’t there a wacky Sgt Peppers movie back in the day with Peter Frampton and the BeeGees playing the Beatles or something? Or am I hallucinating that?

Exhibit 1 of at least 1 in total: Aerosmith covering Come Together.
Yes, there was.

I always like Aerosmith’s remake of Come Together, which I think they did for their appearance in the film.

boomstick

Reaction score
To me, "boy band" means a band that is put together by adults -- a manufactured product.

Isn't all music that's released and promoted by a major label a manufactured product?

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL! Ok what is it then?

What is what? Do you really not understand the difference between a band that is put together by cattle call audition versus a band that is organically created?

Modern major labels have _very_ little to do with creating the product. They'll sign you if they think your stuff can make them money, and drop you if they think it can't.

boomstick

Reaction score
What is what? Do you really not understand the difference between a band that is put together by cattle call audition versus a band that is organically created?

Modern major labels have _very_ little to do with creating the product. They'll sign you if they think your stuff can make them money, and drop you if they think it can't.

When a label signs a band, pays for recording sessions, releases them for sale under their brand on the open market, and produces a worldwide promotional tour. I call that manufacturing a product. What would you call it?

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When a label signs a band, pays for recording sessions, releases them for sale under their brand on the open market, and produces a worldwide promotional tour. I call that manufacturing a product. What would you call it?

All of those things are financial support, and have little to do with the actual product. Have you worked with a major label before?

boomstick

Reaction score
All of those things are financial support, and have little to do with the actual product. Have you worked with a major label before?

The product is the the Beatles albums which the record company recorded, made and sold on the market, not to mention the promotional merchandise, the licensing deals, the Beatles brand, etc. Haven't you ever heard the saying, "the emphasis is on the second word in 'show business?'"

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Byrds might have been influenced by The Beatles, with the Ric 12-string and all, but those first 5 albums were seminal works that stand toe to toe with anything ever produced.

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always like the band, Squeeze. They've floated in and out of the NB territory.
We used to go see Squeeze play at the Playpen in Wildwood, NJ. I am definitely a Squeeze fan.

Last edited:

blueingreen

Reaction score
Badfinger was a great band but a sad story...they are the only ones on the list that sounded Beatlesque.

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was younger I was convinced that this was a Paul McCartney song. Not really Beatles but maybe Wings. Still love it.

larold

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As an XTC fan, I find it amusing to see them on a list of bands "considered to be the next Beatles," because one thing about the Beatles is that there were incredibly commercially successful, something no one would ever say about XTC.

Harry Partridge (the son of XTC's Andy Partridge) makes a quick sly reference to their Beatlesque tendencies in this cartoon:

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an XTC fan, I find it amusing to see them on a list of bands "considered to be the next Beatles," because one thing about the Beatles is that there were incredibly commercially successful, something no one would ever say about XTC.

Harry Partridge (the son of XTC's Andy Partridge) makes a quick sly reference to their Beatlesque tendencies in this cartoon:
Their Dukes of Stratosphear side project was a total Sgt Peppers kinda thing if I remember correctly.

Pylot

Reaction score
Interesting article.....
If you really want to understand the Beatles phenomenon all you have to do is look at their (purely accidental) timing with the demographics of the day. The first and second waves of Boomers in the US were either coming into their mid teens (first wave) or teenie boppers (second wave). Both waves were at a very influential time in their lives and the Beatles were the first to resonate with them while breaking them out of their parents culture.

An example of a colossal screw up is the Monkees. They were so enamored of their own age group (trying to achieve new levels of cool) that they dismissed the teenie bopper girls who were screaming for them. What they failed to recognize is that those 12 to 15 year old girls would be coming of age in three to five years and they could have rode that wave for a long time. Their myopia cost them long term fame.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
If you really want to understand the Beatles phenomenon all you have to do is look at their (purely accidental) timing with the demographics of the day. The first and second waves of Boomers in the US were either coming into their mid teens (first wave) or teenie boppers (second wave). Both waves were at a very influential time in their lives and the Beatles were the first to resonate with them while breaking them out of their parents culture.

An example of a colossal screw up is the Monkees. They were so enamored of their own age group (trying to achieve new levels of cool) that they dismissed the teenie bopper girls who were screaming for them. What they failed to recognize is that those 12 to 15 year old girls would be coming of age in three to five years and they could have rode that wave for a long time. Their myopia cost them long term fame.
Doing what you describe would have required continuing to produce hit records for an additional three to five years. The Monkees -- a hastily-chosen assemblage of actor/musicians -- weren't capable of doing that.