header.nohb.html

8 Bands Who Were Considered to be the Next Beatles, But Could Never Fill Their Shoes

rkingston

Reaction score
Crazy Horses rocks! This song, off the same record I think, is a fave with an immigrant song vibe.
Man, I'm a child of the 80s, have spent my life listening to so much music from the 60s and 70s, been playing drums for over 35 years, etc. So how is it that I've never heard The Osmonds or heard of Jay Osmond!?

I've heard of The Osmonds, but it was always in a pejorative, wink-wink-nudge-nudge kind of way. Holy crap, they rock!

And Jay Osmond is totally solid, grooving, and creative. Seems he's squarely in the "unsung" category, though. Why? He really throws down!

Anyway, thanks to you both for sharing these videos and introducing me to some new old music. :)

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, I'm a child of the 80s, have spent my life listening to so much music from the 60s and 70s, been playing drums for over 35 years, etc. So how is it that I've never heard The Osmonds or heard of Jay Osmond!?

I've heard of The Osmonds, but it was always in a pejorative, wink-wink-nudge-nudge kind of way. Holy crap, they rock!

And Jay Osmond is totally solid, grooving, and creative. Seems he's squarely in the "unsung" category, though. Why? He really throws down!

Anyway, thanks to you both for sharing these videos and introducing me to some new old music. :)

They put out 2 albums of pretty good rock before Donny became the face and it went bubblegum. 1 is a Mormon rock opera, lol.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Beatles were totally a boy band...at first: Young heartthrobs singing catchy songs about holding hands to screaming teen girls. Then they got a little older and started doing hallucinogens and things got more interesting.

Absolutely wrong. They were a garage band (maybe the 2nd after the crickets) that wrote and played their own music and slogged thousands of hours sweating up German and British stages. All Brian Epstein did was put them in suits, get them a record deal and a great producer who they had to fight initially to do there own thing. He came around and so did the world.

Every rock & garage band after that got together, wrote their own songs, booked club gigs and looked for fame and girls and artistic fulfillment owes them a debt and respect. Even if they are not really knowledgeable about the canon and don't think or know they do.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Absolutely wrong. They were a garage band (maybe the 2nd after the crickets) that wrote and played their own music and slogged thousands of hours sweating up German and British stages. All Brian Epstein did was put them in suits, get them a record deal and a great producer who they had to fight initially to do there own thing. He came around and so did the world.

Every rock & garage band after that got together, wrote their own songs, booked club gigs and looked for fame and girls and artistic fulfillment owes them a debt and respect. Even if they are not really knowledgeable about the canon and don't think or know they do.
I’m absolutely certain the Beatles never played in a garage. Pictures could prove me wrong, but I doubt one will.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Quoting from the Wikipedia link Houndog posted: ".... The Beatles are considered by a number of journalists as "the first" or "the original" boyband, "before anyone had thought of the term."[4]

LMAO
Yep, I always take 25 year old glorified bloggers calling themselves journalists as the final arbiters of music.

Commodore

Reaction score
I always thought that the Beatles considered the Beach Boys their equals...

Check out; "Back in the USSR"

boomstick

Reaction score

Let me clarify that I don't consider "boy band" to be an insult at all. So producers held auditions and wrote the songs. Ok, but not just anyone can get up there and perform them in boy band fashion. Actually, I would say very few people can pull that off. I know I couldn't. People may disagree, but I would argue that boy band members have quite a lot of talent, and I don't think they'd be performing at that level without doing some hard work.

What I see in both cases is a media corporation whose primary goal is generating profit. To that end, they identified and produced products centered around a very specific form of entertainment (young heartthrobs singing catchy songs about young love) and marketed it to a specific demographic (teens). We can quibble about the differences over the creative process, but the goal and the marketing strategy is the same.

As it turned out, The Beatles had a much broader appeal, especially after they grew out of that early model and began to dive down deep into their creative minds.

Last edited:

tnsquint1

Reaction score
“Boy band” is a misnomer. “Boy”? Sure. “Band”? I think not. That doesn’t mean they are not great singers and performers, but the term band should mean something.