8 Lug Black Beauty

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recall some people talking about these recently and I own a 5x14 and love it. Sweetwater just posted a video of them with Nick D'Virgilio playing them if anyone wants to check them out.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting how he mentioned the construction. I always thought the Black Beauty was,seamless but I didn't know how they actually made it. This makes it sound like the seam is there but they just make it so it's not visible inside or outside.....???

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting to ponder Gretsch's top line snare drum was always 8L ( 8 lug ) thruout the entire Brooklyn NY era..
Only until the move to Arkansas? did they add a 10L to their Top line snare drums.
Think that's correct. Point being Gretsch may have always thought 8L was top line ...far earlier than what Ludwig is trying to sell now. Or promote now..
That's about the only 'advantage/ foresight' Gretsch had in regard to snare drums compared with Ludwig. But it's 1.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm often puzzled by the terminology people use to describe the sonic characteristics of drums. "Throaty" is a new one to add to the mix from the Sweetwater video. I think I've got a good handle on how "dry" differs from "bright," but I have no clue what he means by "throaty."

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting to ponder Gretsch's top line snare drum was always 8L ( 8 lug ) thruout the entire Brooklyn NY era..
Only until the move to Arkansas? did they add a 10L to their Top line snare drums.
Think that's correct. Point being Gretsch may have always thought 8L was top line ...far earlier than what Ludwig is trying to sell now. Or promote now..
That's about the only 'advantage/ foresight' Gretsch had in regard to snare drums compared with Ludwig. But it's 1.
The G4160 (14x5 COB ), arguably one of Gretsch's most iconic snares, is still 8 lug.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Interesting how he mentioned the construction. I always thought the Black Beauty was,seamless but I didn't know how they actually made it. This makes it sound like the seam is there but they just make it so it's not visible inside or outside.....???
Regular Black Beauties (since 1977) always have been spun seamless just like the Supra. Same process but they start with a flat sheet of brass instead of aluminum. Not sure why the 8 lug would be different. It would be the same process as making an Acro shell only, again, putting a sheet of brass into the metal spinner in place of aluminum.

Not sure if they've changed something or if Nick is a bit confused (or perhaps I've been confused for 40 years).

Here's a video of the process, not Ludwig but it's the same production method.

An 8 lug BB certainly appeals to me...someday....

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad Ludwig listened to those who would want an 8 lug snare. There's nothing superior or inferior based on lug count for a drum. 6 8 10 12, put as many or as few as what makes the drum sound good to the user. I prefer 10, I've never been able to like my Acro and prefer my 400. I actually think I like the 400 more than my 5x14 black beauty, that said I'm still going to buy a 6.5x 14 black beauty next year and have John Aldridge engrave it

Reactions: JDA

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm often puzzled by the terminology people use to describe the sonic characteristics of drums. "Throaty" is a new one to add to the mix from the Sweetwater video. I think I've got a good handle on how "dry" differs from "bright," but I have no clue what he means by "throaty."
Or if something is gritty. Maybe we need a sticky ? What drum sounds clean ? Or dirty ? Or throaty ? Or pure?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think you only get "throaty" overtones without any muffling. The fewer lugs, the more overtones. Some say that the bigger distance between the fewer lugs, especially with triple-falnge hoops, cretes some odd harmonics, a more open sound. Maybe that's what hes referring to.
When talking about cymbal sounds, I like the term "throaty" to describe lower overtones, midrange rather than highs, like a lower sounding voice.

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
They're the same seamless shells as all other brass BBs. I got a good deal on a B-Stock 8-lug BB recently. I compared it with my regular 10-lug and quickly realized I heard no discernable difference at all. Kinda surprised me - I was expecting more "throat". :lol:

digovii

Reaction score
I got the 8 lug almost as soon as it came out and love it. Not a huge (if any) sonic difference vs the 10 lug, but I would say the feel is most different. I have a preference toward 8 lug snares because of that. Just a bit more 'give' in the head.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so pleased with the sound of the ten lug Black Beauty it make me reticent to consider purchasing an 8 lug Black Beauty .