8-lug die-cast hoop reduce to 4-lug over time?

Iristone

Reaction score
Forgive me if the title reads a bit cryptic, but I've noticed that when tuning my vintage Gretsch and Premier snare drum (both 8-lug with stock die-cast hoops), I have to crank every other lug a bit more than the remaining 4 lugs, or the pitch will be lower on those lugs. In extreme cases (as with my Gretsch), four of the lugs would need to be cranked while the others would barely hold any tension (and I'm afraid of rattling). The obvious solution I guess would be buying new hoops, but those Premier low-profile hoops look really nice! Any insights?

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Before buying new hoops, you might want to try this - mark the 4 lugs that seem to do all the work. Loosen everything up, rotate the the hoop one lug in either direction, tighten the head again and see if it's the same 4 that are doing the work.

Iristone

Reaction score
Funny it doesn't co-migrate. :scratch:
FWIW at very low tuning (not really where I'd like to use this Gretsch) it can get a bit in tune. Loosening the 4 offending tension rods COMPLETELY also helps.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
How are the heads? Are the bearing edges even? How are you tuning the drums? I hand tighten top and bottom and then go around evenly (1/4, 2/5, 3/6, 4/8), both tom and bottom, then I tighten the bottom nice and tight, then put my hand in the middle of the top head and fine tune/tighten to a medium-high. All lugs on top should be at and stay the same pitch. Lots of vintage Gretch with die casts and I don't have this issue.......odd.

Iristone

Reaction score
I tune it 1-5-6-2-3-7-8-4. Coated ambassador, not exactly fresh but in pretty good condition, and I've tried Aquarian Modern Vintage (strange it fits no problems) and it was the same.

Iristone

Reaction score
By holding down the hoop with only the 4 tight lugs for a day, it sort of became better. Also works with the detune-one-lug-by-1/4-turn technique pretty well.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have you checked your edges? It suggests that the shell is OOR, but if you say a new head fits fine that might not be the case, so it would leave the edges as the only culprit if it is a shell problem.

What happens if you use a (different) perfect/true hoop on there?

Iristone

Reaction score
Have you checked your edges? It suggests that the shell is OOR, but if you say a new head fits fine that might not be the case, so it would leave the edges as the only culprit if it is a shell problem.

What happens if you use a (different) perfect/true hoop on there?
I remembered new hoops tuned up pretty well, but then I thought I could tune up fine with the old hoops too and switched back... shouldn't have. :silent:
I've not yet checked the edges strictly but they look fine from the outside. Probably explains why it cost me almost $1,000!