8 lug ludwig black beauty. who's in?

lperdomo13

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
seeing if anyone other then myself would want ludwig to make a 8 lug black beauty? ludwig could do a run of 50 snares. 25 in 6.5x14, and 25 in 5x14. so, who's in?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
tempting...how much would they cost? Instant limited edition...at least until they realize what a good idea it was and do another run.

I know I'd want one if I could afford it. I'm a fan of 8 lug snares.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
That would be a drum that would make me happy for sure. The 8 lug really appeals to me. I think one of the reasons that the old 20's heavy shell brass models sound so good is because you could get those in an 8 lug. I play my brass/bronze Ludwig 10 luggers tuned very open mimicking an 8 lug.

I'd also be a big fan of most any Ludwig 6.5 8 lug metal snares. They already have everything to do all of this with. Just a different drilling setup on the blank shells.

Mike

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The BB is my favorite snare drum for the money, and I definitely prefer eight-luggers.

R

RickP

I am in for a 5 X 14. Hearing the difference sonically between my former ten lug Legacy Classic snare and the Bun E Carlos eight lug Legacy Classic snare made me a believer in eight lug snares.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm sure it's out of my price range, but this kinda looks interesting to me:
http://beierdrums.blogspot.com/2015/03/new-beier-15-steel-snare-in-8-x-15-is.html

8 lug 8x15 steel. (Also available in 6.5x14)

Edit - actually not really that outlandish. Most Beier's seem to run about $500. Way more than I normally spend, but far from esoteric. But I also didn't realize BB's are' brass, not steel. Still has my interest though.

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
as long as its COB shinny silver smooth chrome, 6.5" and looks like the ones in the fotos. the type of lugs and badge do not matter to me. i dont need no stinking badges. 8 lugs , no more no less.

Attachments

kromerser

Reaction score
I'd like to buy one of those (6.5x14) if they become available.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
bellbrass said:
I'm in.

I'd also like a true Joe Morello reissue: small Keystone badge, chrome plating, 8 Imperial lugs, welded shell, no "Brass Edition" badge, but rather a small, tasteful Joe Morello badge.
Didn't Joe use a standard issue Super (COB) and then later a Supra? Those both had 10 lugs. I guess I never counted the lugs on his snares but always assumed they were "off the shelf" drums.

That's a sweet idea either way though. Personally I'd prefer an 8 lug COB to a BB but either would be a nice option.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Joe's snare during the late 50's would have most likely been the Wfl or Ludwig transition badge model.

Mike

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Whatever he used, Ludwig should faithfully re-do...namely, the welded shell and lack of "Brass Edition" badge (and hopefully do it in N.C., and not have Adrian do it in Italy, where it would pick up an extra 50% in price)....

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
So how would this work if they did agree to make them? Obviously you'd have to go through a dealer to make the purchase. Could be a banner sales week for Steve from Russo or whomever. I guess they would set the final price.

There are few 8 lug Supras out there, the assumption being that some shells already punched for the Acro configuration got chrome plated by mistake and Ludwig just used them anyway.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Joe's snare on Time Out was definitely a brass drum; I asked about it once. Overhead mics(which should be pretty obvious).

Dan

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah Joe definitely was using a brass shelled Super at that time (Time Out time) as that was all WFL/Ludwig offered right then for metal shelled drums. Those also had a seamed shell. But they were a 10 lug design, outwardly nearly indistinguishable from the Supra model that took its place a couple years later.