8 lug ludwig black beauty. who's in?

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I would definitely like to see it. While they're at it, make it completely retro with no rubber gaskets and with hoops that match up the holes with the lugs for no splay. I think a drum like that should have a P86 standard. I would also hope they'd use a normal keystone badge on it, and not something they design especially for the limited edition. The downside would be that I would probably have to sell a whole drum set to pay for it.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd suggest we concentrate on getting Ludwig to do this as reasonably priced as possible (like I said before I'd prefer an 8 lug COB to a BB but a BB would be cool) and then we can all add our own bells and whistles (engraving, COB hoops, P-86 etc.). Just another 2 cents. I'm sure I'd want to buy whatever metal 8 lugger (that's different enough from an acro) they might decide to offer, provided I can afford it.

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
8 lugs all the way! My personal choice would be a NOB over BB or COB, but any of the 3 would be awesome!

drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd love one! Lacquered smooth brass please.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
You'd think that if Ludwig could for sure sell 50-100 special edition snares without having to do anything special besides a new limited edition badge and 2 fewer lugs, they'd do it.....or, if you're talking about the Black Beauty, they'd have to do nothing at all except drill differently....

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
K.O. said:
I'd suggest we concentrate on getting Ludwig to do this as reasonably priced as possible (like I said before I'd prefer an 8 lug COB to a BB but a BB would be cool) and then we can all add our own bells and whistles (engraving, COB hoops, P-86 etc.). Just another 2 cents. I'm sure I'd want to buy whatever metal 8 lugger (that's different enough from an acro) they might decide to offer, provided I can afford it.
If you're looking for reasonable price 8-lug and you're not stuck on brass - Beier makes an 8 lug steel in a variety of sizes (including 5.5x14) that runs about the same price as a new 402. It's even black. I'm jonesing pretty hard for the 8x15 version. I've been good Santa, honest.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
swarfrat said:
If you're looking for reasonable price 8-lug and you're not stuck on brass - Beier makes an 8 lug steel in a variety of sizes (including 5.5x14) that runs about the same price as a new 402. It's even black. I'm jonesing pretty hard for the 8x15 version. I've been good Santa, honest.
Sorry, no hijacking this thread. If you want a Beier drum, by all means...go buy one... This thread is not for you! :)

We are talking about an 8 lug Ludwig brass shell snare drum.
I would absolutely love a 6.5x14 8 lug Ludwig COB! Lets get commitments from 50 buyers or more and present them with the project. Whether or not they are tooled up to do 8 lugs on a 6.5x14 metal snare is the real question. Who has a good contact insider that we can get their attention with this project.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Hey - the man said "any metal" 8 lug, and affordable. That's not gonna be a Ludwig 1 of N drum anything. Maybe if Ludwig makes it a normal production item.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey - the man said "any metal" 8 lug, and affordable. That's not gonna be a Ludwig 1 of N drum anything. Maybe if Ludwig makes it a normal production item.
"Any metal" would include aluminum and they make that already and it's called the Acrolite. Got several of those.

Something more esoteric would be one from brass or bronze. Whomever supplies the shells to Ludwig has the shells, and they have the ability to punch those shells for eight lugs since they already do that for Acro's so it's just a matter of Ludwig deciding to have their supplier punch some brass shells for eight lugs. I'd think this thread would show it would be worth the "risk" to make a few. No special badge required...it would be pretty obvious it was something special from the number of lugs. If anything they'd be cheaper to make (fewer parts) although I suppose the "paperwork" of creating a new product to keep track of and market costs them something.

If you're looking for reasonable price 8-lug and you're not stuck on brass - Beier makes an 8 lug steel in a variety of sizes
Unfortunately I'm probably stuck on it being a Ludwig more so than either brass or 8 lugs ;)

This probably requires some Ludwig retailer to be the one who goes out on a limb to meet the required minimum order.

Maybe if the NYC Board of Education wanted them we could snag the cast offs a few years from now.

lperdomo13

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just to let everyone know, I've spoken to Uli and Terry about this topic. So they know. I'm trying to get enough of us to show the higher ups at Ludwig, that there is a market for 8 lug metal snares.

kromerser

Reaction score
4 years later Ludwig made it happen!
I just purchased one and I can't wait to receive and play it!