8 lug ludwig black beauty. who's in?

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's a mistake to go with 8 on a Black Beauty, it cheapens it's history as the pinacle of Ludwig snares. It should be top of the line as most brass 10 lug drums are and should be the example of what a modern Ludwig can do. Not be a backstep which soils it's heritage.

But by all means if you want a blacrolite with a brass shell, call it a Standard or make it a Black Magic or whatever the import line is now.

PressRoll

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I think the original Black Beauties from the 20's and 30's only had 8 lugs. Besides that, why would having 8 or 10 lugs denote the overall quality of the drum? It took me a few years but I was able to get past the mentality that more lugs equals higher quality.

Iristone

Reaction score
I think I'd prefer this to the 10-lugger, mainly for ease of tuning and positioning on the snare stand. OTOH I'm kind of a cheap guy and like to buy used drums, and I can't foresee anyone willing to part with these... :blackeye:

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
It's a mistake to go with 8 on a Black Beauty, it cheapens it's history as the pinacle of Ludwig snares. It should be top of the line as most brass 10 lug drums are and should be the example of what a modern Ludwig can do. Not be a backstep which soils it's heritage.

But by all means if you want a blacrolite with a brass shell, call it a Standard or make it a Black Magic or whatever the import line is now.
This makes no sense. There’s nothing cheap about 8 lugs. I prefer the sound and feel most of the time, though 10-luggers have their own thing going on.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score

This makes no sense. There’s nothing cheap about 8 lugs. I prefer the sound and feel most of the time, though 10-luggers have their own thing going on.
Here is a nice historical 8 lugger just in time for this discussion:

see:

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here is a nice historical 8 lugger just in time for this discussion:

see:

Yes, that was the standard many moons ago but the lugs on the top of the line brass shell'd ludwig increased and became and downright set the modern standard. It's history. This is the now, so why cheapen the lineage of modern Black Beauties by making them an 8-lugger?

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Yes, that was the standard many moons ago but the lugs on the top of the line brass shell'd ludwig increased and became and downright set the modern standard. It's history. This is the now, so why cheapen the lineage of modern Black Beauties by making them an 8-lugger?
Because they sound different? Again how is this cheapening the legacy?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe the Black Beauty merits 12 lugs in this modern era.

I'll be waiting for someone to decide to cast off one of these 8 lug drums a year or two down the road and hopefully snag one then.

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe the Black Beauty merits 12 lugs in this modern era.

I'll be waiting for someone to decide to cast off one of these 8 lug drums a year or two down the road and hopefully snag one then.
Me too. I hope everyone hates them. :)

dsop

Reaction score
That may be the silliest thing I've ever read here.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I dunno, your comment is as boring than most of the ok boomer stuff you post.
Thanks for providing us with an excellent example of an ad hominem argument:

Fallacious argumentative strategy that avoids genuine discussion of the topic by instead attacking the character, motive etc. of the person(s) associated with the argument