8 lug ludwig black beauty. who's in?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I liked the 8 lug although the 10 lug shell was gorgeous. I think he played better on the 8......I think an 8 lugger in 5" depth may work for me, but I gotta A/B them in person. Can't wait to hit up Bentleys...

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Great comparison as I tend to lean with the fatter more resonant sound.....which is why I was considering the 8x14 BB idk I’d now like to hear the 8 lug 6.5 vs 8” depth

Drummer1990

Reaction score
Mine :) I have 8 lugs on all of my drums. I believe they feel and breath better.

View attachment 427470
Dale I am very curious if you notice any sound difference in a 8 lug black beauty vs the modern 10 lug? I am so confused about which one I should get. I'm a first time black beauty buyer I currently have a 76 Supraphonic LM402 14x6.5

Thanks
Phil

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dale I am very curious if you notice any sound difference in a 8 lug black beauty vs the modern 10 lug? I am so confused about which one I should get. I'm a first time black beauty buyer I currently have a 76 Supraphonic LM402 14x6.5

Thanks
Phil
I’m not Dale, but GET THE NEW 8 LUG. Your Supra is drier and more focused. So swing hard to the other side with your brass drum.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's a mistake to go with 8 on a Black Beauty, it cheapens it's history as the pinacle of Ludwig snares. It should be top of the line as most brass 10 lug drums are and should be the example of what a modern Ludwig can do. Not be a backstep which soils it's heritage.

But by all means if you want a blacrolite with a brass shell, call it a Standard or make it a Black Magic or whatever the import line is now.
Lug count has nothing to do with quality. Ludwig’s top shelf snares tend to have 10 lugs, but Ludwig does a lot of stupid crap.

Now Ludwig’s top of the line brass drum comes in 8 lugs. One of the smartest things they’ve done lately.

”Options” was something they used to offer. So maybe they’re honoring their heritage rather than spoiling it.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, that was the standard many moons ago but the lugs on the top of the line brass shell'd ludwig increased and became and downright set the modern standard. It's history. This is the now, so why cheapen the lineage of modern Black Beauties by making them an 8-lugger?
To me it doesn’t cheapen them at all. Quite the opposite, it raises the bar. I love 8 lug snare drums.

Last edited:

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Thanks
Phil
I think it breathes more. It’s more of a feel thing for me.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love Ludwig and that is a beautiful drum but could they not have had some tension rods brass plated to match? Details matter.
I agree! I have the 6.5” version of this. I bought lacquered brass triple flanged hoops for it and safety packed away the single flanged and claws. I didn’t immediately notice the tension rods, until I got it put back together. Haha. What the hell... Weird design decision. If I get real bored, I’ll buy some.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Looking forward to owning on of these in the future. I own close to 100 Ludwig snare drums. My faves are my '23ish Ludwig 5x14 8 lug heavy brass shell....and my '84 Ludwig 5x14 smooth bronze. I tune it very open to sound like an 8 lugger. So this would be right up my alley.

Mike

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 5" Black Beauty made in 2009 and a 6.5" deep Black Beauty made in 2013.

Do I need a Black Beauty with eight lugs? Probably not.

Will I pick one up? Yes, eventually I probably will.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is cool, I didn't realize Ludwig was doing this. The head to head video shows a subtle difference in sound. IME what's also different with 8 lugs is a less fiddly tuning process and and an easier time hitting backbeats between the lugs.

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Thanks
Phil
Get the 8 lug, if you don’t like it I’ll trade you my 10 lug 6 1/2
for it!

Latest posts