8 or 10 lug snare.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Almost impossible to describe any difference between an 8 and 10 lug. If you look at a 6 and a 10 lug, its easier to form an opinion, but not choosing one over the other as being better. We have learned over the many decades that my sound may not be yours. You're not wrong for not liking my 6 lugger, but that's just your opinion....Difference between 8 and 10...no one will ever know..or should I say; care.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The nice thing about an 8 lugger, is that the bolts will be under more tension when the head is at the same pitch. That will tend to minimize/prevent the heads from detuning/losing tension (especially the snare-side head) while playing the drum.
However, if you really like to crank the heads and play with a table-top feel, 10 lugs is better. 12 lugs is absolutely overkill and should be avoided at all costs.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I currently go back and forth between an 8 lug Powertone, an 8 lug RK, and a 10 lug DW Craviotto. All three sound really good to me, but the DW has been my go to snare for almost 20 years, and still is.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
8-lug drums will tune lower more easily. Something about the coarser tuning area.

It's widely accepted that more lugs will tune higher (think 12-lug marching drums), so it only makes sense that fewer lugs will be better at lower tuning. I'm not sure I understand the physics of it, but experience has shown it to be true.

I think the same is true of all drums, not just snares. Back in the late 80's, when I was selling tons of Yamaha Recording Customs, I could never get their darn 10-lug (well, 20-lug all told, but I you know what I mean) 20" bass drums to thump. Even a cheap RockStar 8-lug 20" sounded better in that range. The 20" RC tuned up great for Jazz/bop, but forget about it for rock. Then I applied the same thinking to snare drums and sure enough, 8-lug, even SIX-lug 14" drums tune down way better. It works for toms as well. (For awhile in the 80's Ludwig was making a 10-lug 14" tom. It was just awful tuned low. They must have had too many 14-10 hoops! Follow that up with an 8-lug 16" and good luck matching timbres.)

I have a six-lug WFL 7x14 Zephyr snare that I just love for that very reason. It's not a terribly versatile drum, but if you want that nasty, fat, low back-beat, look out! But I'm guessing less than six would be silly.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
There was a video shared here recently about the effect of removing half the tension rods from the bass drum and then tuning it to the same pitch as before.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
fewer lugs will be better at lower tuning. I'm not sure I understand the physics of it, but experience has shown it to be true.
When you have more lugs, the tension rods will be totally loose at a low pitch, whereas fewer lugs will still be more than finger tight. This is why I think 14" floor toms should have 7 lugs, not eight. When you have a drum that is typically tuned low, fewer lugs is the solution.
Any bass drum smaller than a 22" should have 8 lugs.

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To try and answer your question directly, at the same tension, an 8 lug drum will be slightly darker and more open. Some people hear this as ‘vibe’ or mojo. I prefer 8 lugs on shallower drums (5.5 depth or less), and 10 lugs on 6” or deeper, as the depth of the shell starts to create that depth.
This pretty much sums it up it for me. If it’s a 5.5” or more shallow snare drum, 8 lugs is fine. But, I do prefer 10 lug snare drums overall.

Latest posts