8 sticks vs 1 ride

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Holy moly! I had always known that different sticks give you different cymbal (and drum) sound. But hearing them back to back like this pretty mind blowing. I didn't expect that the contrast would be so great! I guess the ear gets used to the new sound pretty quickly when playing, so we forget the previous sound.

In any case, I recorded 8 different sticks on one ride, and this is the result. Hope you guys like it!

WaggoRecords

Reaction score
I love your videos. This one seems so prescient for me. I recently picked up a 20” Pre-Aged Dry Light ride and was convinced it was a dog of a cymbal. I have been primarily playing with a light stick with a huge acorn tip and for some reason, switched to a stick with a teardrop tip and was shocked at the difference. I’m now on ny own journey to figure what sticks get the sounds I prefer.

I like the first 2 sticks in your video. Seems the thicker ones produce a harsher, more cutting sound.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Pretty amazing, isn’t it? It really makes you consider a cymbal as more of a unique instrument, if you catch my meaning here (and the sticks, for that matter). Great demonstration, thanks for posting.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great idea - great editing!

From the opening panel, could you list here the stick model from L to R?
Yeah, good idea, that was requested by other watchers too so I just added that info to description too. Too bad I didn't end up editing them to the exactly same order as they are in the picture. Oh well...

The sticks on the first picture are (from the left)
-Balbex Jussi Lehtonen
-Regal Tip Jake Hanna
-Regal Tip Jazz
-No name thin neck
-Balbex Kepa Kettunen
-Regal Tip 9A
-Regal Tip 5A
-No name 2S

Balbex is European stick company and the endorser models are for Finnish drummers. But the models/tips are so universal that I just went with what ever sticks I had there.
Beamhorn is pretty close to maple in hardness, and sounds pretty similar in my opinion.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love your videos. This one seems so prescient for me. I recently picked up a 20” Pre-Aged Dry Light ride and was convinced it was a dog of a cymbal. I have been primarily playing with a light stick with a huge acorn tip and for some reason, switched to a stick with a teardrop tip and was shocked at the difference. I’m now on ny own journey to figure what sticks get the sounds I prefer.

I like the first 2 sticks in your video. Seems the thicker ones produce a harsher, more cutting sound.
Yeah, thicker ones definitely open up a cymbal this thin bit too much. I'm sure the difference would not be as drastic on a thicker ride.

But it's a great reminder that if you have a cymbal that you think is ok but not great, then selecting a different stick might suddenly elevate that cymbal and make it sounds fantastic.

Last edited:

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Stick size and weight makes a massive difference (hence my moniker). I'll never forget going to test some thinner cymbals out, and being handed a couple of baseball bat looking sticks from the clerk to use on them. If the job was to sell those cymbals, those clubs were not going to do it. I always bring a few sizes of my own sticks to test cymbals with now, and have even had the store staff remark that they didn't know a certain cymbal could sound so good. That being said, as was pointed out earlier a heavy stick on a heavier cymbal could definitely work better than a light one. I just don't play very heavy cymbals.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
What's a bullet tip? I found myself liking those more, though don't know what they are (and suspect it may depend on the cymbal too).

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Yep....I wrote a big long thingy on stick weight over on Cymbalholic and this video proves it.
What surprises me is that I didn't detect any additional presence of the ping with the nylon tip.
The ball tips seemed pingier than the nylon you used.
I have always gone with a ball or a nylon tip to help bring some extra ping out of an otherwise "soft" cymbal, but I see now that may not necessarily be the case.
I was also surprised by how much wash your barrel tipped stick brought out.
My Matrix doesn't seem to do that, but maybe I'm not hearing it from the right perspective.
I may have to try making my own video and see what comes up.
Thanks for posting that Mark. Very interesting video.

Elvis

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep....I wrote a big long thingy on stick weight over on Cymbalholic and this video proves it.
What surprises me is that I didn't detect any additional presence of the ping with the nylon tip.
The ball tips seemed pingier than the nylon you used.
I have always gone with a ball or a nylon tip to help bring some extra ping out of an otherwise "soft" cymbal, but I see now that may not necessarily be the case.
I was also surprised by how much wash your barrel tipped stick brought out.
My Matrix doesn't seem to do that, but maybe I'm not hearing it from the right perspective.
I may have to try making my own video and see what comes up.
Thanks for posting that Mark. Very interesting video.

Elvis
The nylon tipped stick is very thin, so that might explain why is not that much more pingier. Maybe its mass is just not enough. And the barrel tipped stick is quite a bit thicker, almost a 5B range so that one feels like a overkill for this cymbal. Usually that tip type gives more defined sound. So o guess it's the combined effect of stick weight and tip shape....

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ride cymbal wash is influenced a lot by the part of the stick behind the tip - thickness of the neck/shoulder and the length of the taper.
At school we have some older drumsticks lying around with the neck completely chewed up from I think cowbell playing; the tips are still intact. The thin neck changes the ride sound a lot compared to an intact stick, same model, similar weight and pitch.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Quite true.
Seb's example reminds me of the Promark Select Hickory sticks that are separated by the "Rebound balance" catagory and the "Forward Balance" catagory. The difference being the length of the shoulder.
Same could be said for unusual designs that may use a thin stick with a proportionally large tip (which would also create a proportionally thick neck, or possibly even eliminate it altogether. I'm thinking the old Steve Smith stick here).
Either way, its weight added to the forward end of the stick and that's what can affect cymbal performance.
Has anyone ever experimented with stick length?
Comparing the same stick (or as close as possible) that are two different lengths. Say, 15" and 17" for example?
I get the feeling the difference might not be as great as lengthening/shortening the shoulder, but it would interesting to see how much difference there is.....I suppose you could just use one stick and change how you hold it, too.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Has anyone ever experimented with stick length?
Comparing the same stick (or as close as possible) that are two different lengths. Say, 15" and 17" for example?
VF 7A and 8D might be similar except for the length. I found gripping an 8D further toward the middle doesn't make it a 7A. The longer stick has more mass, a different balance, also a lower pitch.
When I was teaching little kids at some point I decided to shorten some thinner sticks at the back to make them more proportional in size to the children's hands. (Since then, Rohema has come up with a kid's stick that's really good, not as miniscule as the VF one). This raised the pitch considerably, but more importantly they seemed much more comfortable to play for the kids.

Latest posts