8" tom resonance... one final effort!

markkarj

Reaction score
Hi folks:

I'm a few weeks from getting my drums after a cross-Canada move. I'd like to ponder how I might improve the resonance on a rather vexing 8x8" tom...

The drum is a 5 lug custom model, built by Tom Wells out of Ontario. Jordan Gauthier did some additional work on the bearing edges. It has a thin maple shell, a generic RIMS mount, triple flange hoops, and Aquarian classic clears with a dot on the top.

The drum doesn't have a great tuning range (I'm not sure any 8" toms do). The problem is that while the drum seems to have a lot of resonance off the tom mount, it seems to choke as soon as I mount it. It's especially noticeable next to my Premier XPK 8x10" (similar heads... I'd think the 8x8" tom would do better given its thin maple shell). No amount of tuning seems to have resolved it. The heads aren't new, but certainly serviceable.

I'm willing to try nearly anything short of sorcery to help the drum perform better. Would you have any suggestions?

I had a couple of ideas:

1) To drop the RIMS mount and replace it with one of these (although I hear the reviews are mixed): https://www.gibraltarhardware.com/product/sc-uss/ . Maybe less mass on the drum might help it sing; and/or

2) The suspension system above has a bumper at the bottom to prevent the mounting arm plate from jamming into the shell. Would applying some kind of a bumper be an option at the bottom of the RIMS plate, if it helps to counter-balance the drum better? I see Tama's "super resonant mounting system" has some kind of extension arm that makes contact with the bottom rim. I'm not aiming to go that far, but just considering options (https://www.tama.com/eu/products/drum_kits/star_walnut_drumkit.html).

If I have to accept the drum for what it is, so be it. I'd welcome options that I may not have considered yet.

Thank you very much

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Gibraltar mount is a huge step backwards as far as isolation and sound quality goes. I would check to make sure that the generic isolation mount you have actually fits properly. The copies are hit and miss, and many of the companies that made them really had no idea how RIMS mounts work. If you are going to replace the mount you have, I would look into getting a real GPI Alloy RIMS mount.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have to agree, that Gibraltar mount might look practical, but so far, I haven't nticed it really isolates the drum and elgnthens decay. I might try the one I got on different drums, given that it is a universal size, but I have my doubts it will improve the sound.

Re: 8" toms - I noticed they are often tuned too low. To my ear the 8" needs to sit a fifth above a 10" or an ocatve above a 12" to really sing.

rayboomboom

Reaction score
I had a RIMS mount that didn't fit very well on a drum cuz the distance between the hoop and the lug was to short and was compressing the rubber gromet. It choked the drum. So if the RIMS mount dosn't fit correctly it will choke the drum. Check that it sits freely and the tension rods aren't binding.
Also, try a different head without a dot. That small of a head could really be affected by a dot, more so than a dot on a larger diamiter head.
I have a 8x7 Pearl Vision tom and I really like it. But you're right about the limited tuning range.
Good luck.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never heard an eight-inch tom that I thought was worth a damn. But, hey, it worked for Weckl!
Maybe try an INDe mount? They are pretty slick, and very well engineered.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one kit with an 8" tom (dw collectors) that I have owned for 15 years. I have used many heads on that tom, some great, some terrible. The most resonance & tone that I can achieve on that drum is with a clear Emp over Amb. Single ply on top seemed papery and weak for me.

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
Are your actual rims (not RIMS) choking the drum? If you have access to try, maybe give some 1.6mm hoops a shot?

Or, assuming you are mounting the Tom from the top hoop, why not try using the RIMS on the bottom hoop? That wouldn’t cost anything to try. Just a quick head swap between the batter and reso. And then obviously flipping the drum around and mounting it.

I’m guessing you’ve also tried just switching the heads? Move batter to reso and reso to batter?

I would also try running it as a single headed Tom like previously mentioned - but I’d try it with both of your available heads individually to see if one head is more dead than the other. I think the dot head is really killing you - those tend to really focus the sound.

I would also try running it as a single headed Tom like previously mentioned - but I’d try it with both of your available heads individually to see if one head is more dead than the other. I think the dot head is really killing you - those tend to really focus the sound.

Last edited:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
First make sure the shell is in round and that the edges are true and evenly contoured. Don't assume these things are right - you may be surprised. Double 45s are probably a good call. Then get a new Gauger RIMS mount for the 8. I have done that on 2 of my 8s and they sing much better and sound fatter than with the factory supplied RIMS copies. Then try single ply heads on it. I hope that helps.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Yeah, I’d second (or third) the idea of trying a Gauger or INDe suspension mount. If it’s feasible, the least choking mount option ime is a lightweight snare stand (or snare basket style tom stand, like a Tama Classic) equipped with Little Booty Shakers.

Also heads: it seems counterintuitive when seeking more openness, but I’ve found that a thicker head makes the 8” tom sound best. It gives it some body, some presence, some fat. Thinner heads that work fine on larger toms make an 8” sound like an accessory drum, a bongo-ish vibe. I got a great sound from an Onyx head, which is 2 plies of 7.5mil, if the color works for you that head sounds good. Regardless of which batter you use, I’d try a clear g1 or clear Amb reso to give it as much projection as possible.

Naturally, you want the 8” to sound like it’s part of the set - so if you have coated Ambs on all the other toms, a 2 ply head may make the 8” sound good but too different from the other toms. If a 2-ply batter won’t work, try a thick single ply like a G12/G14 or Ambassador X. They’re great heads and definitely add some beef.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The RIMS type mount for Drum Factory Direct is nice, and inexpensive, compared to others.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
take the bottom head off and See
(if) that's as good as it will get and (it's sufficient)
I mean 6" or 8" who needs a bottom head and lugs on them
Plus lighter to carry.

Smooth white Remo Weather King on top.

Last edited:

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
Does the RIMS mount line up perfectly over the lugs, or do you have to squeeze it to pass the tension rods through? If you have to squeeze, then that is likely the source of your issue. It's pretty common on small diameters where the mount wraps around most of the drum.

The fix for this is really easy: take the mount off and gently bend it into shape. Use rolling actions on a padded surface (like a carpeted floor) and use just enough pressure to make small adjustments, checking the fit after each one.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't played mine in years... with that said, when I did play it the only head I found that made the drum sing instead of sound chocked was Remo clear diplomats on both sides

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original Gauger mounts were far better than the generic ones . If your grommets are binding on the tuning bolts at all, you'll lose a significant percentage of your drum's resonance and sustain . On an eight inch shell , there's no room for any kind of loss .

The Mapex or Sonor under the lug systems are pretty non interfering . I also use Pearl ISS , mounted on the bottom hoop for larger toms like 12 or 13 . Might be just what you need .

To me eight inch toms are first of all attack , whatever sustain you can get out of them is a bonus, not guaranteed . I'd stick with single ply clears , maybe even Diplomats then tune as low as possible to fatten the boing then add whatever dampening , if any, suits your ear.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I have to accept the drum for what it is, so be it. I'd welcome options that I may not have considered yet.
It would help to see a photo of the drum, mounted as you would play it. I've owned a few 8" toms in the past, and they all sounded great and had excellent range (Gretsch 5-lug and Yamaha 5-lug).

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
The original Gauger mounts were far better than the generic ones . If your grommets are binding on the tuning bolts at all, you'll lose a significant percentage of your drum's resonance and sustain . On an eight inch shell , there's no room for any kind of loss .

The Mapex or Sonor under the lug systems are pretty non interfering . I also use Pearl ISS , mounted on the bottom hoop for larger toms like 12 or 13 . Might be just what you need .

To me eight inch toms are first of all attack , whatever sustain you can get out of them is a bonus, not guaranteed . I'd stick with single ply clears , maybe even Diplomats then tune as low as possible to fatten the boing then add whatever dampening , if any, suits your ear.
- And the newer Gauger mount is better than the original, in my view. It very likely won't require any bending of the arm.