80's Remo Drums

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, I think any drummer who was coming up in the 80's will remember this video.
So Bozzio's playing aside, which as always is IMO beyond reproach, does anyone know the story behind his drum sound here? Forever and a day I thought Remo drums were garbage becuse of this video. But over the years, I've heard a lot of great things about them. Nothing that is reflected in this video though. Does anyone know, was he looking for a unique, even dissonant sound? Was it some kind of artistic statement? I mean to me he sounds like a subway bucket drummer, with frying pan lids for cymbals. To each their own, I'm not criticizing it, I just want to know what was behind the choice. I'm hoping someone here has some insight.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why Terries drums sound that way, but maybe it's the drum heads he's using which I don't recognize. I never heard Remo's with that " bucket" sound.

The ultimate Remo player to me is Jeff Hamilton, who played them for years and they sounded phenomenal to my ears. He's a jazz guy though, so way different then Bozzio. Another great one to listen to was Louie Bellson who was actually friends and partners with Remo on these and played those drums for years. But to my ear, they didn't always sound great. Could have been the early ones or those early recordings.

I've been keeping my ears open for a Remo bop kit, but they are rare birds.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The snare head was unique to drum kits in its time. I don' t think anyone else was pushing Falam's heads for the kit market at the time. The others were just Ebony Emperors as far as I know. It's definitely a distinct drum/cymbal sound combo he's got going. Brash to be sure, but I've never heard anyone describe it as pleasant.

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's what tightly tuned Ebony Pinstripes over Ebony Ambassadors sound like. On any drum. Garbage. Same for the Falam snare head.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why Terries drums sound that way, but maybe it's the drum heads he's using which I don't recognize. I never heard Remo's with that " bucket" sound.

The ultimate Remo player to me is Jeff Hamilton, who played them for years and they sounded phenomenal to my ears. He's a jazz guy though, so way different then Bozzio. Another great one to listen to was Louie Bellson who was actually friends and partners with Remo on these and played those drums for years. But to my ear, they didn't always sound great. Could have been the early ones or those early recordings.

I've been keeping my ears open for a Remo bop kit, but they are rare birds.
You mean like this? My Remo MasterTouch Kit.

0B36614A-BF3F-4D8F-B318-9895237129AD.png

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ebony Pinstripes are two 10-mil plies PLUS the glue ring

pretty much a yogurt container lid

he was pushing the "piano approach" at the time, so probably wanted focus alongside the stacked "white-noise" cymbals

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the one!

I saw and read about it on your web site. Very cool kit and a nice restoration to! How do you feel about the sound?
They sound great. I'm just not a bop player so I tune them down. I keep them in case I need a smaller kit profile. They get played maybe once a year if that.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
In the 80's musicians were experimenting with different off the wall sounds. (both acoustic & electronic) I've heard tons of music with strange sounding drums. What sounded cool then might not sound cool now! I'm sure Terry's sound in this video was part of that experimentation. Besides, the hair matches the sound, LOL!! I still love the 80's!

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He was very careful with that hair. If he moved too fast, barbs would shoot off his skull like a porcupine. A grip could've lost an eye.

Last edited:

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, I think any drummer who was coming up in the 80's will remember this video.
So Bozzio's playing aside, which as always is IMO beyond reproach, does anyone know the story behind his drum sound here? Forever and a day I thought Remo drums were garbage becuse of this video. But over the years, I've heard a lot of great things about them. Nothing that is reflected in this video though. Does anyone know, was he looking for a unique, even dissonant sound? Was it some kind of artistic statement? I mean to me he sounds like a subway bucket drummer, with frying pan lids for cymbals. To each their own, I'm not criticizing it, I just want to know what was behind the choice. I'm hoping someone here has some insight.
Ah, Terry Bozzio, the definition of "I mean... you CAN do that? But why would you?"

He seems like the kinda guy to play in front of a mirror, admiring everything he's doing, while also recording all of it so he can watch it back later, and then he'll put it on at every party he hosts (and will bring a copy to parties he is not hosting.)