80's Yamaha Drums - Opinions Please

tripp2k

Reaction score
Not sure if the 80s qualify as vintage so thought I'd start here.

I have 2 drumsets available locally to me, one I intend to purchase for my son.

1) Tour Series (8000 series) in bright red MIJ. Looks to be in nice bedroom use condition. 5 piece and seems to include the series 8 lug snare and some throw-away cymbals and hardware. $425

2) Power V in black with long lugs made in UK with signs of use. 4 piece with no snare but does include some Zildjian A cymbals and throw-away hardware. $625

Any opinions on which of these you would choose? Although I will need to pickup some cymbals for the first option, I'm focusing on the drum shells.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Tour series was a pro line all the way and that’s a great bargain at that price. The Power V was mid line that was decent but certainly not pro. I believe they were made in the Premier factory for Yamaha.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I would go for the Tour. I had a mid-80's Tour Custom. They were amazing.

BUT -- cymbals are so expensive nowadays. How many are you talking about on the power V kit and are they any good? If there's several GOOD cymbals there, it might need to be reconsidered if you need any new cymbals.

stevil

Reaction score
Tour Series rules. Great sounding drums with lots of headroom if you want to be loud. I have a set I can't part with even though I'm playing a different kit these days. I think $425 is a great deal.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Buy them both. Sell off the Power V, with the junk cymbals. I sold Yamaha drums in the 80's. The Tour series drums were/are excellent shells.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I sold drums in a music store during the 80s as well, and Tour Series is the way to go. Even though I'm a true Yamaha fan, I always hated the Power V drums. They feel cheap and far below the exceptional standards we expect from Yamaha. The Power V tom sound was more like cardboard than nice wooden shells.

As has been suggested, buy the Tour Series and add in USED Zildjian A cymbals and good hardware. That will yield a lifetime drum set.

GeeDeeEmm

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tour 8000 series. The Power V's have a limited resale market and are not easy to sell. The 8000's still have a decent following. And even the throw away cymbals and hardware are worth $125....you're getting 5 drums for $300. Even the most distressed 8000's bring $60-$75 per shell. Nice ones can fetch $125-$175/shell. In my mind they carry the same market weight as Tama Superstars of the 1980's. They have a lower fundamental tone than the Recording Customs and were made more for live acoustic settings. Anton Fig used a cobalt blue tour custom on David Letterman for years.

The snare drum if original should be either a color matched wood snare - or the SD 750/765 or SD295/296 snare drums. A red wood snare is pretty desirable and a $150-$250 drum on it's own. If the kit is in lacquer finish that's a tour custom, even more desirable (1985-1990). The tour series drums were wraps (1981-1990). Both have the same shells but the lacquers bring more money and have a better following. A "bed room" set of these sounds killer. The 1980's Yamaha hardware to go with such a kit is very available (red or silver label 800 series stands). In the early days of the Tour Series (1981-1984) they came with single braced 700 hardware....still rugged gear though.

Last edited:

felis

Reaction score
Pretty unanimous, I guess. I'd also take the Tours before the Power V's.
You didn't mention sizes though.

tripp2k

Reaction score
Majority rule! I'll inspect the Tour series later this week. Not sure if it is wrap or laquer but, as is always the case, I'll post some pics when I get them. I'll pick up some used A's locally to mate with them and the son will be ready to roll.

Thanks everyone!

tripp2k

Reaction score
You are buying these for your son?

The only kit I ever regretted selling was a Tour Custom kit.
I was originally going to give him my BCAN/Ks kit but, in the end, I couldn't do it. He's still a young semi-adult hanging around other semi-adults. He will get these where I have first right of refusal should he decide to dump them.

Targalx

Reaction score
I was originally going to give him my BCAN/Ks kit but, in the end, I couldn't do it. He's still a young semi-adult hanging around other semi-adults. He will get these where I have first right of refusal should he decide to dump them.
It's kind of like getting a first car for your kid. You won't give him your personal daily driver, but you'll get him something that's a decent runner that he might bump or scrape while gaining driving experience.

Latest posts