80's Yamaha RC Bass Drums - which heads?

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After owning a few of these older RC's I would recommend your choice of any brand single ply ringed heads with either the mylar ring or the thicker foam type ring some of them use. NO PORT in the resonant and if you can mount your toms off cymbal stands so you can keep that bass mount open for ventilation and batter head relief. If you are a "gotta have a port" type then I recommend at least trying to learn without it.. as it just gives SO MUCH more IMO. I like most of the brands single ply's but if I had to choose it would be the Remo Renaissance Powerstroke 3 on both batter/resonant.

Kevaruka

Reaction score
I have always stuck with the Remo clear Pinstripe which was supplied with them from new :) Same with the toms. They just work. I always port the front head also. Everyone has different opinions depending on intended use :)

Ptrick

Reaction score
I agree for birch bass drums no port or a very minimal one. With a port, the attack is over emphasized, and much of the low end and tone disappears. Much more than maple bass drums.

I use a 4” diameter hole, and still get a beefy tone.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What Kevaruka said. I tried a number of different brands/models on my Recording Custom bass drum and toms, and always came back to what Yamaha supplied from the beginning - clear Pinstripes. I never did try my bass drum without a port, though. Now I wish I had. But every gig I played with them required mics, so I just used the original ported head.

GeeDeeEmm

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have an 80’s 14x22. The power stroke on it has to be 6 years old at least. Front has a coated Ambassador the same age with the Remo hole thing in the side. It’s a one trick pony. Really good trick but that’s it.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Get rid of the reso head with the big hole! The best set up I have had is going back to the first one I had with RC bass drums. On a 22" kick, 4" offset vent at either 4pm or 8pm reso smooth white Remo Ambassador and on the batter side, a clear pinstripe with a Remo Muffle installed. Nothing else in the drum. That set up will shake the rafters. That's the classic 80's bass drum set up for me. I like more "woof" or that puff of air immediately after the hit and having just a 4" hole helps that. The big 12" center black logo head just lets the air out too quickly. My 2 cents...

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Yamaha RC kit. The 16x20 bass drum is quite versatile. My favorite head combo thus far is Evans EMAD2 Clear on the batter, with a Remo Ebony PS3 Ported reso. The EMAD2 seems about an octave lower than the GMAD, Superkick I, and Ps3 batters I have tired.