header.nohb.html

9/8 Groove based on Turkish/Rûm Darbuka Rhythm

44Ronin

Reaction score
Here's a very simple groove based on a common 9/8 darbuka rhythm that is very common and super useable. Cooks generally at 120bpm and above

There's two main ways to count it.
Traditionally you would count 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 (2) 3

You would feel that in four pulses with the last one being long.

Alternatively you can count this 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Either way, the feel is short short short long

The traditional counting is my preference because it's based on the dance.
notation1.png

Generally I'd advise you to avoid placing any strong accents on the 9th note as the feel of the style is to 'limp over' the long pulse.

You can add ornamentation over the limping 1 2 3 to create emphasis to the upcoming bar and help postmark where the time is.

For example;

ornament2.png

ornament3.png

If you repeat the ornament on the first snare accent you will get a sliding effect/impression especially at higher tempi 150 and above

ornament1.png

Attachments

• ornament1.png
    ornament1.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 8

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
Here's a very simple groove based on a common 9/8 darbuka rhythm that is very common and super useable. Cooks generally at 120bpm and above

There's two main ways to count it.
Traditionally you would count 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 (2) 3

You would feel that in four pulses with the last one being long.

Alternatively you can count this 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Either way, the feel is short short short long

The traditional counting is my preference because it's based on the dance.
View attachment 562007

Generally I'd advise you to avoid placing any strong accents on the 9th note as the feel of the style is to 'limp over' the long pulse.

You can add ornamentation over the limping 1 2 3 to create emphasis to the upcoming bar and help postmark where the time is.

For example;

View attachment 562018

View attachment 562019

If you repeat the ornament on the first snare accent you will get a sliding effect/impression especially at higher tempi 150 and above

View attachment 562017
Reading while eating dinner (can hear it in my head) - heading upstairs shortly to play it. I love ALL ethnic rhythms - from all over the world.