9 x 13 Pearl Fiberglass tom to snare conversion?

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I found an old 9 x 13 Pearl fiberglass tom I'd like to experiment with. I actually found it and a few other pieces on FB Maketplace NY on the cheap... come to find out the guy I bought these items from is the drummer for 1910 Fruitgum Company! You know... "Yummy Yummy Yummy" and "Simon Says"! This is a 6 lug drum and one that has been drilled for pearl plumbing hardware with holes drilled for the older style 4 screw pattern mounting hardware, then was later drilled out for the newer style 3 screw pattern mounting hardware. Needless to say, one panel between lugs is toast! The plan is to create a vented snare, 3 large vents, every other panel between the lugs, or 2 large vents, one directly across from the other. This snare will be outfitted with INDe throw and butt and I'm entertaining the thought of Gretsch 13", 6 hole die cast hoops (batter/snare side). The snare is going to be left raw to match the Pearl fiberglass kit project that I recently completed. My concern is that the 9" depth may too deep. I may be able to take it down a half inch on each end for the popular (as of late) 8" depth, but then I get too close to the lug holes on each side. So how 'bout it? Anyone ever try it? Was it a worthwhile venture? I can always find the hardware and turn it back into a double sided tom...

IMG_20190930_140140017.jpg

Last edited:

tris66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice turtle cut out. That is a big vent. Interesting project.
Thought: There are 13 x 11 marching snares out there. Cut another 1/2"? I have a kit the same vintage plus a couple phenolic kits in the President series. The President snares are 10 lug. The distance between the head edge and the first lug screw are the same... or nearly the same on the toms and snare. Taking that 1/2" off gets you less than 1/2" play from lug and hoop from my quick measurements. Ot might be less depending on the luga you use. Measure how much space you have on those lugs/nuts and how much thread you have on your rods. Will the fiberglass have a problem with strength with a loss of material between the lug and the edge? A 6 lug cranked up snare is different from a cranked up tom.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Back in the day, Jerry Jenkins and I both agreed that the best depth for a 13" snare was 7"-7 and 3/8".
He and I made a few. 7 and 3/8 was great.
Turtle Vents and Gunter Vent.
I recall you saying this and I'm trying to figure out a way to make that 7" depth happen... what's a "Gunter Vent"?

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've made a few out of 13" Pearl fiberglass toms. 4" depths do not sound good, don't bother...save that idea for maple. I did a golden ratio with some dimensions and came up with 6.something which sounds great! Maybe I will do a 7".

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I slept on it... guess I'm going to need the help of Precision Drum in Pleasant Valley, NY. In order to get a 7" depth, I'll need to trim 1/4" off the top, which will leave 1 1/4" between batter bearing edge to the outside of the first lug hole, leaving enough material for plenty of strength. Then I'll need to trim the snare side of the shell to the outside/top of the first lug hole, completely losing all 6 of the bottom lug holes. That will also leave 1 1/4" from the the snare side bearing edge to the edge of the remaining lug hole. 6 new lug holes will need to be drilled at 1 1/2" on center, allowing for 12 single ended 1 1/2" OC tube lugs (the Pearl lugs wont fit or would look pretty hokey). Snare beds will need to be cut and holes drilled for the INDe throw and butt. Down the line Im going to use either single flanged 13" stick choppers with clips, or 13" 6 hole die cast snare rims. Here's a mock up I did this morning... looks like the direction to go.

Attachments

Last edited:

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
OK...all this has me thinking...I bought a Tempus 12" shell (8 deep I think)...was thinking of cutting it in half and making a timbale with one half and a snare with the other...but now I'm thinking...deeper snare?

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhh, the Gunter Wendt vent! Out of this world space age technology baby! Actually, the turtle is a Native American symbol of the Earth and the reason it wound up on this project!

Last edited:

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OK...all this has me thinking...I bought a Tempus 12" shell (8 deep I think)...was thinking of cutting it in half and making a timbale with one half and a snare with the other...but now I'm thinking...deeper snare?
I would think a 6 x 12 would be right on the money!

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Shell is now 7.25" deep, holes added for double row of 1-9/16" tube lugs, bottom bearing edge and snare beds cut. Die Cast rims, INDe throw/butt and Aquarian heads have been ordered. Next step is four coarsenesses of wet sanding, followed by a hand brushed coat of Varathane triple thick satin polyurethane

IMG_20200120_160241706.jpg
IMG_20200120_160255974.jpg
IMG_20200120_160317708.jpg
IMG_20200120_160334710.jpg

fibes3

Reaction score
Shell is now 7.25" deep, holes added for double row of 1-9/16" tube lugs, bottom bearing edge and snare beds cut. Die Cast rims, INDe throw/butt and Aquarian heads have been ordered. Next step is four coarsenesses of wet sanding, followed by a hand brushed coat of Varathane triple thick satin polyurethane

View attachment 424194 View attachment 424195 View attachment 424196 View attachment 424197
Did you do the bearing edges and snare bed or did someone else do them?

Nice job. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Dave

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Took the shell to Precision in Pleasant Valley, NY... did everything right before my eyes! Left some extra material on top to address the deep collar on most modern batter heads. Going to use a Remo Ambassador no collar snare head which will hopefully balance out. Everything is on order, Gretsch 13" Die Cast 6 hole snare rims, INDe Drum Lab Throw and Universal Butt, 12 single ended chrome Tube Lugs, 13" Aquarian no collar and 13" Remo Ambassador no collar snare heads, 13" Evans Genera Batter, tension rods, 13" Puresound Blaster Series 20 strand wires.

g5486s.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 12.42.58 PM.png
IMG_20191101_160719.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 12.57.48 PM.jpg
tu50.jpg

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"the Earth was thought of as a great island which floats in space and is a place of eternal peace. Sky Woman fell down to the earth when it was covered with water, or more specifically, when there was a "great cloud sea". Various animals tried to swim to the bottom of the ocean to bring back dirt to create land. Muskrat succeeded in gathering Oeh-da (earth), which was placed on the back of a turtle. This earth grew into North America or into the present planet Earth itself. Hah-nu-nah, the Turtle, became the Earth Bearer."

Drums are symbols of the rhythm of life. Their beat can be equated to the beating of a heart. Since the heart is central to our survival, its beating indicates that we are alive and once it stops, we die.

I'm naming this drum, Heart of Hah-nu-nah...

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow. Good name. I like when a drum has a good story. This one definitely does. Cool project. Sounds like you had a great experience with Precision. That's exciting. I'm hoping they can help me with my current project!

If you don't mind my asking, what's the rough project cost thus far?

fibes3

Reaction score
Took the shell to Precision in Pleasant Valley, NY... did everything right before my eyes! Left some extra material on top to address the deep collar on most modern batter heads. Going to use a Remo Ambassador no collar snare head which will hopefully balance out. Everything is on order, Gretsch 13" Die Cast 6 hole snare rims, INDe Drum Lab Throw and Universal Butt, 12 single ended chrome Tube Lugs, 13" Aquarian no collar and 13" Remo Ambassador no collar snare heads, 13" Evans Genera Batter, tension rods, 13" Puresound Blaster Series 20 strand wires.

View attachment 424302 View attachment 424303 View attachment 424304 View attachment 424305 View attachment 424306
Love to see the finished drum.

Interesting that Precision did the bearing edges on your fiberglass drum.
They told me they couldn't redo the bearing edges on my fibes fiberglass snare.

Oh well.

Still want to see your drum.

Latest posts