90’s Tama Japanese Starclassic Birch vs 80’s Superstars.

Olddrummer

Reaction score
I have a set of 80’s birch Tama Superstars. Saw a Japanese birch Starclassic (I believe 90’s) tom shell for sale and was wondering how different the shell is from the vintage Superstars? The Superstars are very heavy, thick shells...sound amazing. Are the Starclassics similar in construction? It would right next to a superstar tom on the kit , so can’t sound too far off. Also, I’m assuming the lug hole spacing is different but that’s big really an issue.

egw

Reaction score
I don't know anything about your Superstars, but Starclassics had very thin shells (with DC hoops, kind of a nod to Gretsch), so it sounds like the two would be pretty different.

Olddrummer

Reaction score
Thanks. The 80’s Superstar are probably the thickest shells I’ve ever played. Much thicker than Slingerland, Pearl and DW kits I’ve owned. Thanks for the info.

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe 80s Ludwig six ply drums are thicker than 80s birch Superstars. Could be wrong, but I've owned both. Starclassics, especially maples, are incredible drums.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Old Superstar shells are easily twice as thick as the Starclassic shells.

Reactions: egw

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tama 80's Superstars are 6 ply - 9 mm. My 2005 all birch Starclassics are 6 ply 6 mm by my measurements. Though some things I've read they claim 5 mm for SC's. Mine are closer to 6 mm. I find the sound between my 2 kits quite similar. With heads and tuning I don't see why you couldn't easily fit a SC drum into a vintage SS kit.

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The spec is 5mm. That would be the shell before any finish is applied. Bass drums and the current snare drums are 7mm

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A fine lined, steel ruler I received from work 20 yrs ago. It works quite well in measuring from 5-12 mm for routine drum stuff. Not as accurate as digitial calipers but good enough. Not currently in possession of any "prime standards." Left all those at work years ago.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just measured my early Japanese made Starclassic maple snare and it comes in at 4.90mm using a digital caliper.

Latest posts