90s Gretsch Broadkaster (Jaspers) Burnt Orange, Gunmetal Die Cast 18/12/14

Mostly Bop Drums

Reaction score
Watch it here! 90s Gretsch Broadkaster (Burnt Orange) Sound Test/Demo 18/12/14

We're back with another Gretsch kit! Today’s video features 1990s Broadkaster Bop kit! This kit has a "Burnt Orange" satin finish, and all the hardware is powder-coated die cast! For this demo, we put Remo Coated Ambassadors on the tom batters and on the resos. On the bass drum batter, we put a Coated Ambassador, and and the reso, a Remo Fiberskyn Ambassador.

This configuration is: 18x14 Bass Drum, 12x8 Tom, 14x14 Floor Tom

This kit has 6-Ply Jasper shells with the Maple/Gum Gretsch formula, 30-degree bearing edges, and Gunmetal Powder-Coated Die Cast Hoops.

Snare: Pearl Masters Custom (Piano Black) 5.5x14
Cymbals: 22" Istanbul Agop "Tony Williams" Ride, 20" Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary Ride, 14" Zildjian Vintage Avedis Hi Hats

Mic Setup: two AKG C214 microphones as overheads, a Shure SM57 on the snare, a Shure SM57 on the hi-hats, and an AKG d112 on the bass drum.

On Thursday (2/25) we'll be posting the "In Concert" video of this kit with a Quintet!

Coming next Monday (3/1): We're starting our "Brushes" Series, where we compare different heads. The first three are the Remo Fiberskyns, Remo Coated Ambassadors, and Evans Calftones. If you have any heads you'd like to hear with brushes, let us know!

Let us know if there's any kits you'd like to see in the future!

Hope you enjoy!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
get the weights...of the vintage Avedis hi hats for the guys.. : )
top and bottom.
sweet and in great condition I bet too.

bbshams

Reaction score
Love it guys, thanks for another cool video!

I have to ask, do all these kits belong to you? Are they borrowed from friends for videos? Quite the collection!

Mostly Bop Drums

Reaction score
Love it guys, thanks for another cool video!

I have to ask, do all these kits belong to you? Are they borrowed from friends for videos? Quite the collection!
It's a mixture of both! Some of them are mine, but we have a few people on our "team" for this channel, so a few of these kits are theirs. We also borrow kits from time to time from friends. We've kind of worked out a process where we buy the kits used for cheap when we find a great deal, and then after demoing, we sell the kits again. We try to find friends/people who are in need of an upgrade and deserve quality kits and let them have the kits for cheap!

Superbeetle

Reaction score
Great video! I love hearing the history on these not so vintage kits from the 80s and 90s. These drums were what I’d stare at in Modern Drummer and in the stores, hoping to own some one day.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that kit! My buddy has that kit in that orange at the local Hyatt and I remember being allowed to sit in on that kit - it sounds and looks amazing. Great tuning and vid.
Tell me more about the TW ride........

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cool kit here. Nice demos and playing!

In some of your other vids, you use a 22" Renaissance that was apparently modified by Jesse Simpson. Sounds great. What can you tell us about that one? Any specifics on Jesse's work?

Mostly Bop Drums

Reaction score
Cool kit here. Nice demos and playing!

In some of your other vids, you use a 22" Renaissance that was apparently modified by Jesse Simpson. Sounds great. What can you tell us about that one? Any specifics on Jesse's work?
I bought that cymbal after it had already been modded, but I put in 2 rivets and its pretty wild! I don't have any personal experience with Jesse but have had friends send cymbals to him and love his work!