90's Ludwig Classic vs Today's Classic Maple

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My late 80's are called Classic (maple/poplar/maple) and came with Modular hardware which I removed not too long after purchasing them in '94, I still own them to this day. That change made a big difference in the tone and allowed then to have longer sustain. December 2018 I purchased a new CM kit. It's hard to explain the difference but when I played my first gig I had a big smile on my face.

The CM kit seems to be easier to tune and I feel has a warmer tone that lingers on when tuning both heads the same. It's all about tuning on both sets. I still love my Classics and really happy with my new Classic Maples.

I feel you can use either one for any type music you want to play. The Classics were used for 25 + years playing Big Band music, I play mostly Country now days.

sherm

BTW: Elvis, corrected me on that term and explained the difference, years past when I joined the forum. LOL
Thanks. Yes, the whole Classic vs Classic Maple is ambiguous at times. The set I'm looking at has no beefy mounting hardware which is a plus. Tom would just be on a stand.

Talktotommy

Reaction score
Not really.
Riveted on wrap finish and modular hardware would be the only two that I can think of, off-hand.
Those would both denote a 6 ply (aka "Classic") shell.

Elvis
Here’s a good video and sound of the early 80s six ply. Sounds great with ambassadors.

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is a good video, he gets around 7 toms very nice..........but his drums are set up backwards

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here’s a good video and sound of the early 80s six ply. Sounds great with ambassadors.
Very nice playing and sounding drums. That's exactly as I remember them. I can only imagine how they sound 20 feet away! Thanks for posting that video.
By the way, what are the sizes (diameter x depth)? Thanks again!

Talktotommy

Reaction score
Very nice playing and sounding drums. That's exactly as I remember them. I can only imagine how they sound 20 feet away! Thanks for posting that video.
By the way, what are the sizes (diameter x depth)? Thanks again!
Not mine I just knew of the video.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
They barkin'! Rock drums, for sure, and he knows how to tune them. They look like square sizes

Talktotommy

Reaction score
They barkin'! Rock drums, for sure, and he knows how to tune them. They look like square sizes
Earlier blue olive power toms were 3” deeper than standard.
11x12. 12x13. 13x14. Etc..
Not sure when square sizes came in.