header.nohb.html

A 19 year old video of Carlock with the Dan playing Josie

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I went on a Carlock binge a few months ago. Not particularly a fan of the Dan but there are a few vids of him trading some funky 4s with Stanton Moore at Tipitina's that are just distilled joy. A few very interesting things with Oz Noy as well. Carlock has a truly unique sense of grove and a very interesting vocabulary.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You see the heavy Gadd influence in both solo vocabulary and solo construction as well as how Gadd moves and hits the drums. Saying that as a compliment.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to see Keith with Steely Dan at the Beacon in NYC. Great show but was probably the last one with Walter who was sick and had to leave the stage after the first couple of songs…R.I.P.

Furious Styles

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You see the heavy Gadd influence in both solo vocabulary and solo construction as well as how Gadd moves and hits the drums. Saying that as a compliment.
Absolutely.

He never loses that primal aspect to the groove, like Gadd's performance in that Buddy Rich memorial compared to Vinnie and Weckl.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
He absolutely killed it at PASIC last week. He just gets better and better. If anyone was there they know what I mean. In case you're wondering, I'm 6'3" and Keith is 7' tall. lol :)

IMG_0528.jpeg

Mayan

Reaction score
When I saw Steely Dan in San Diego last May, the show ended with a drum solo. Donald Fagen stood just off center stage, facing Keith like the rest of the band. It was such a great show, and the entire band was clearly in awe of Keith Carlock. I am biased of course, but it was the best ending to an encore I’ve ever seen at a concert!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a great solo! What kind of snare is that?

I saw the Dan with Dennis Chambers in the mid 90's. I didn't know what to expect, but DC killed it. In fact, the live version of Aja is on Alive in America from that show!

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got to see Keith with Wayne Krantz and Tim Levfbre a couple months ago and it was awesome! Killing it the whole time, those 3 are so rhythmic together

Tarkus

Reaction score
Man, he simply amazes me...

Thanks for this video.

I saw Steely Dan only once in my life during their 'Heavy Rollers Tour 2007'. Must be the same tour. Didn't remember the name of the drummer, just new he was quite young and extremely talented.

Here a video I found from their Bonn (Germany) concert (I saw them a few days earlier in Stuttgart):

Some good views on the drums. But his solo is shorter and during 'Aja', not 'Josie'.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Keith Carlock is a force of nature. Just a monster player with such a unique voice, feel, and sound.

kire2

Reaction score
This is a great solo! What kind of snare is that?

Maybe a Yamaha SD493?

"Though Carlock has a healthy collection ofYamaha snares, at heart he’s a one-snare man. “My baby is the Yamaha brass piccolo I’ve had for more than 10 years,” he says. “I’ve used it for everything— almost every recording I’ve ever done, plus live situations." http://www.yamaha.com/.../pdf/issue6-carlock_keith.pdf

/Jan-Erik