A 1963 6ply Gretsch bop kit...

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
mariosdrums said:
Do you play jazz?
Absolutely only jazz... nothing else will do.
I studied jazz at CalArts in California with Albert "Tootie" Heath (and Charlie Haden) - Tootie sent the most amazing substitutes for when he went on tour. A few weeks I had one on one lessons with Billy Higgins.

The great Billy Higgins... back from the grave to give you a one-on-one lesson. That is indeed amazing!

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
Somebody PM'd me who is not too familiar with jazz and asked me why Art Blakey??? Why not any Gretsch RB burgundy sparkle drum set.

Well, the short answer is simple... 1). Both sets are 1963 round badge and obviously burgundy sparkle, 2). Both sets are made in the exact same size 18/12/14 and 3). they both have the W&A rail mount factory installed at the 12 o'clock position.... when 99.9% of the time most RB bop kits of that era had W&A rail consolettes located at the 1:30ish o'clock position.

But to answer the question fairly, I would also say... YES YES YES, their are other cool Gretsch RB bop kits out there that could be connected to Art Blakey that's for sure BUT none of them are as famous or sought out as the elusive and beloved burgundy sparkle bop kit...

View attachment 239893 With the rail consolette on top...
View attachment 239894 And with the rail consolette more to the side...

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
royal ace said:
Do you play jazz?
I studied jazz at CalArts in California with Albert "Tootie" Heath (and Charlie Haden) - Tootie sent the most amazing substitutes for when he went on tour. A few weeks I had one on one lessons with Billy Higgins.

The great Billy Higgins... back from the grave to give you a one-on-one lesson. That is indeed amazing!

Hmm, the man did die back around 2001. So obviously he studied at CalArts way before then!

Benzblk

Reaction score
Osahead2 said:
Somebody PM'd me who is not too familiar with jazz and asked me why Art Blakey??? Why not any Gretsch RB burgundy sparkle drum set.

Well, the short answer is simple... 1). Both sets are 1963 round badge and obviously burgundy sparkle, 2). Both sets are made in the exact same size 18/12/14 and 3). they both have the W&A rail mount factory installed at the 12 o'clock position.... when 99.9% of the time most RB bop kits of that era had W&A rail consolettes located at the 1:30ish o'clock position.

But to answer the question fairly, I would also say... YES YES YES, their are other cool Gretsch RB bop kits out there that could be connected to Art Blakey that's for sure BUT none of them are as famous or sought out as the elusive and beloved burgundy sparkle bop kit...

20150608_133138.jpg With the rail consolette on top...
IMG_20150316_141432.jpg And with the rail consolette more to the side...
"Yea OSA, I can defiantly see the Art Blakey connection with your beautiful burgundy sparkle bop kit. Q: So what other vintage jazz kits do you have that you consider to be tributes to other jazz drummer"s?

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Benzblk said:

20150608_133138.jpg With the rail consolette on top...
IMG_20150316_141432.jpg And with the rail consolette more to the side...
"Yea OSA, I can defiantly see the Art Blakey connection with your beautiful burgundy sparkle bop kit. Q: So what other vintage jazz kits do you have that you consider to be tributes to other jazz drummer"s?
Well the only other vintage jazz kit, I have that would be considered a tribute kit would be my sweet little 1967 Ludwig Keystone mahogany finish Jazzette bop kit that Roy Haynes played. I love that 12x18 bass drum!

View attachment 239946 View attachment 239945 View attachment 239947 View attachment 239948

Reaction score
royal ace said:
Do you play jazz?

You are being incredibly ignorant or disrespectful, maybe both.

I graduated high school at age 16 in 1991 and was accepted into CalArts as a jazz performance major starting fall 1992. I did indeed spend many quality hours with Billy Higgins, we played together trading fours/eights/sixteens and full choruses. One of the highlights of my studies there. The others include the performance class I took with Charlie Haden - he was often absent as he toured a lot but the times he was there I got to play with him. He had very sensitive ears and insisted I use brushes. Then he'd count off Cherokee at a blazing clip. A great education.

Reaction score
Osahead2 said:
Nah, adding a extra burgundy sparkle floor tom would make this bop kit look too goofy and too painful for me to search/find another dead matching 14" or 16" floor tom... I was very lucky to have located this dead matching 14x14 as I did when most of them are very faded after 50+ years.

But from here on out this RB bop kit will be configured as such a 18/12/14 with snare....... and the 13" RB tom gets put away........ in memory for Art Blakey!
20150608_133310.jpg
20150608_133333.jpg
ArtBlakey2.jpg
Art-Blakeyssmikecreasy.jpg
Love Art Blakey and never actually saw his kit. I grew up listening to him on record. What a press roll! Yet another amazing kit, Alan!

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
mariosdrums said:
Do you play jazz?

I graduated high school at age 16 in 1991 and was accepted into CalArts as a jazz performance major starting fall 1992. I did indeed spend many quality hours with Billy Higgins, we played together trading fours/eights/sixteens and full choruses. One of the highlights of my studies there. The others include the performance class I took with Charlie Haden - he was often absent as he toured a lot but the times he was there I got to play with him. He had very sensitive ears and insisted I use brushes. Then he'd count off Cherokee at a blazing clip. A great education.

Wow, that sounds awesome! Love Higgins organic sound especially his K sound! And Charlie Haden..Love Higgins on This is Our Music.. Huge Haden/Motian/Keith Jarrett Western Quintet fan.. Must have been very inspiring moments indeed. BTW Osaka, what a fantastic set up--get a couple of choice K's and some hats and go to town!

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
My son bought a 60s Gretch kit of the same color wrap a few years ago...tho doesn't have matching snare. cool set!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Osa, while the burgundy sparkle is super classy, I actually love this bop kit that Art had. I know it's a bit tacky but those satin flame wraps always looked cool to me on Gretsch drums. I would love to have a go on a set like this! Even the suit looks tacky! Lol....

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
wflkurt,

His early 1970s light blue suit and tie are way too cool... and when this photograph was taken his satin flame Gretsch kit was definitely in fashion too!

By the 1970s most Jazz music had progressed away from traditional acoustic jazz and closer to electronic styles and groves. Basically signs of the times.

And, I'm like you, I would love to get a chance to play or own these babies... I love that olive green flame!

Gary

DFO Master
Reaction score
royal ace said:
Do you play jazz?

Royal,

Maybe you should have asked the years he studied with him before calling BS. I think there may be a little tension inside this thread and it's not necessary. The thread is about Osa's large collection of drum sets with 18" bass drums. A very reasonable vintage drum forum topic alongside things like "Show us your cocktail sets" or How many caddy green drums do you have" or "When did Gretsch start putting on paper labels and what is the first number they used?" It's not about "What kind of music do you play? and "Who'd you study with?".

There are a couple of forums within DFO that work for "What do you play?" and "Who'd you study with?" and maybe vintage drums isn't the one.

My two cents.

Reaction score
Gary said:
Royal,

Maybe you should have asked the years he studied with him before calling BS. I think there may be a little tension inside this thread and it's not necessary. The thread is about Osa's large collection of drum sets with 18" bass drums. A very reasonable vintage drum forum topic alongside things like "Show us your cocktail sets" or How many caddy green drums do you have" or "When did Gretsch start putting on paper labels and what is the first number they used?" It's not about "What kind of music do you play? and "Who'd you study with?".

There are a couple of forums within DFO that work for "What do you play?" and "Who'd you study with?" and maybe vintage drums isn't the one.

My two cents.
I'm the one who asked "do you play jazz" to Alan - he has an immense collection of vintage sets in jazz sizes. Wondering if he plays jazz is a topical and fair question and he was happy to answer it.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
royal ace said:
Do you play jazz?

Please read Mario's post clearly and carefully: He says: "A few weeks I had one on one lessons with Billy Higgins." Read it carefully. He doesn't say "A few weeks AGO...," which I think you misread it as.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
mariosdrums said:
Do you play jazz?

Mario - this is way cool. You must treasure those experiences!

So Charlie Haden had you playing Cherokee at high speeds on brushes - yeow! You lived to tell the tale. I'd heard his ears were very sensitive to volume.

And we love us some Gretsch Burgundy Sparkle. I tip my Gretsch hat to you, OSAhead. Hey, I'd play with the two-up, but that's just me.