A 23 (yes a 23!) Flanged Trans Stamp

curly

Reaction score
So here's a pretty interesting old Zildjian I picked up at the Delaware Drum Show today.

Have you ever wondered what a heavily hammered medium weight 23" trans stamp between 3000-3100 grams with medium profile with a pronounced downward flange at the end would sound like? I personally had not but, man, it sounds great. There's a mix of trans stamp sparkle and complexity, sweet sweet stick, and a big sweeping crash. Edge crashes and shanks are awesome, maybe because of the flange there's some dirt in there too. The shop I bought it from gave the backstory that it had one owner who was a jazz dummer in Rochester. I've got a lot to learn from this one!

Look at the taper of last 3/4-1" to the edge...there is a pronounced downward flange.

Check out the hammering!

Last edited:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Very very nice! I've got a 24" Trans Stamp but have never had my hands on a 23". That's a great find. Did Wood & Weather have it by any chance?

Mike

curly

Reaction score
Those guys seem to have a good handle on what vintage stuff is worth. No doubt you paid up for up. Very cool cymbal.
I paid a reasonable price based on Zens data and the particular characteristics (size, weight, rarity, etc) of this cymbal. So it wasn’t a steal but it wasn’t as much as you might expect.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That sounds great! Whole orchestra in that thing

curly

Reaction score
That sounds great! Whole orchestra in that thing
Indeed! Don't know how well it comes across in the video but there are different sounds from edge to distal bow to middle bow to cup. Then all sorts of craziness emerges if you shank the flange, on the flange edge, the bow, etc. Its unreal.

Last edited:

curly

Reaction score
Got it on my scale and its right at 3000 grams. Based on Zenstats data for 24 trans stamps, this would put it squarely in a medium range.

1582601643715.png

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love the setting. The bird chirps add a lot to the overall sound.
Is that flange as dramatic as other's you've seen?
It looks very subtle in the pictures.

Last edited:

curly

Reaction score
I love the setting. The bird chirps add a lot to the overall sound.
Is that flange and dramatic as other's you've seen?
It looks very subtle in the pictures.
I haven’t seen many others like this so it’s hard for me to say. Perhaps someone else can add some perspective?