A Avedis 21" Ride

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a 22 version and it’s a beautiful cymbal. Mine is definitely a crash ride, and on the lighter delicate side. It blends well with other Zildjians (new Ks, etc). Being an A, it is on the prettier side and somewhat clean, yet not sterile.

A few years ago, I had a church gig that could get fairly loud. This cymbal ended up being a little quiet for that setting. But that was fine in that I had a few other options. There were sections where the ping really needed to define the time, so this wasn’t it.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've got a 22 at 2308g. Very light for these rides. I use it primarily as a crash. Amazing, amazing cymbals

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 22 version and it’s a beautiful cymbal. Mine is definitely a crash ride, and on the lighter delicate side. It blends well with other Zildjians (new Ks, etc). Being an A, it is on the prettier side and somewhat clean, yet not sterile.

A few years ago, I had a church gig that could get fairly loud. This cymbal ended up being a little quiet for that setting. But that was fine in that I had a few other options. There were sections where the ping really needed to define the time, so this wasn’t it.
I listened to the 22's that MDS had and kinda reached the same conclusion. The 21 that I bought sounds like it's got more stick definition and reasonably loud. The bell sounds clear and like it would cut through a fairly loud mix too. Although I don't generally play very loud gigs. I'm pairing it with my other K's and the 15" A Avedis hats I recently added (LOVE those by the way!). Can't wait to try it out in person! MDS does such a nice job with recording their cymbals that I haven't been disappointed yet. It's so nice to be able to audition cymbals this way since in person doesn't seem to really be an option these days as nobody local has a significant inventory of cymbals.

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got a 22 at 2308g. Very light for these rides. I use it primarily as a crash. Amazing, amazing cymbals
It seems like each cymbal in this series is fairly unique. I wouldn't buy one without being able to hear it first. I recently got the 15" hats and have absolutely fallen in love with them! I think this one is going to pair beautifully with those and all my other cymbals (which are K's).

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Supposed to be here tomorrow! Of course, it's coming FedEx and their slogan these days seems to be "when it absolutely, positively doesn't need to be there anytime soon." So we'll see... lol

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds nice, should be a great main cymbal.
I'm thinking so. When I bring my full main kit, I use two rides (and I also have a left side crash/ride - 19" Kerope for jazz gigs). My main ride to this point has been a 20" K Con with 3 rivets. Absolutely love that cymbal! (I'll put a link below to the MDS demo on that one, cause I bought it their too). I'm thinking this new one could easily be a main ride if I'm using my smaller kit and just two cymbals, like on a jazz gig with the 19" Kerope on the left side. I'll be interested to see how I like it in that capacity!

One of the things I listened for when evaluating that 21" A Avedis ride is the pitch interval between it and this K Con. I think they're going to compliment each other very well.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to have the 21" before I went all in for K Cons. Also had an 18", 19" and 15" Avedis hats. It's a beautiful ride, and I preferred it over any of the 22s I've heard. Mine had beautiful variations in the lathing, and while I'm not so hot on the artificial patina, it did look great. Musically, it had a very usable and sweet bell, but a somewhat stiff crash. The stick sound was clean but a bit lacking in definition, and I did find the higher frequencies and "sparkle" in the wash could obscure the stick sound in louder contexts. Still, if I was going to keep one of the Avedis cymbals, the 21" would have been it.

I'd also reiterate the point made earlier about the variation between these cymbals at the same size. It's hard to say how similar your 21" will be to mine, and so hard to say whether my experience will be helpful to you. I tried two 18s in the store before purchasing; one was clangy and harsh, the other buttery, soft and smooth.

The Ruckus

Reaction score
I only tried a used 21” in a shop and I didn’t like it. This particular one did sound diffferent, in a bad way, to videos I have heard. Might be why it sat used for so long. Sometimes a dud just comes off the line. But a 100-200g difference is deceptively small, but can have large sonic impacts on rides.

OT, Am I the only one who finds Memphis drum shop cymbal videos to not be entirely accurate?

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to have the 21" before I went all in for K Cons. Also had an 18", 19" and 15" Avedis hats. It's a beautiful ride, and I preferred it over any of the 22s I've heard. Mine had beautiful variations in the lathing, and while I'm not so hot on the artificial patina, it did look great. Musically, it had a very usable and sweet bell, but a somewhat stiff crash. The stick sound was clean but a bit lacking in definition, and I did find the higher frequencies and "sparkle" in the wash could obscure the stick sound in louder contexts. Still, if I was going to keep one of the Avedis cymbals, the 21" would have been it.

I'd also reiterate the point made earlier about the variation between these cymbals at the same size. It's hard to say how similar your 21" will be to mine, and so hard to say whether my experience will be helpful to you. I tried two 18s in the store before purchasing; one was clangy and harsh, the other buttery, soft and smooth.
Some of the other 21" A Avedis rides I listened to didn't quite have the stick definition I'm looking for, but this one sounds like it does from the MDS video. I've had good luck with those videos accurately portraying the in person sound, so I'm hoping it's going to sound like I expect. I love my 15" hats too, but I didn't dig any of the other sizes of the A Avedis line that I heard. Gonna be interesting to see how it sounds when it shows up! Hey, if you have a chance to listen to the MDS video in my original post, I'd be curious to see what you think in terms of a comparison with the 21 that you had.

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I only tried a used 21” in a shop and I didn’t like it. This particular one did sound diffferent, in a bad way, to videos I have heard. Might be why it sat used for so long. Sometimes a dud just comes off the line. But a 100-200g difference is deceptively small, but can have large sonic impacts on rides.

OT, Am I the only one who finds Memphis drum shop cymbal videos to not be entirely accurate?
This is probably like the 5th or 6th cymbal I've bought from MDS using their videos. Maybe I've just been lucky but so far I'm 100% on the cymbals getting to me sounding exactly like I expected them to sound from the videos...

Lennykenard

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got the 18,19,20,21, and 22. The 20 is the only one I don’t love. I like it, don’t love it. Would like to get some hats in this set too

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
... OT, Am I the only one who finds Memphis drum shop cymbal videos to not be entirely accurate?
I've purchased 4 rides and 2 crashes from MDS since 2015 and all 6 of the cymbals wound up sounding very close in person to how they sounded in the videos. So close in fact, that I still own and use 5 of the 6 cymbals. Although one of the rides sounded like it did in the video, it played so stiff under my stick that even after working with it for months I just couldn't play the thing, so I had to move it along.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some of the other 21" A Avedis rides I listened to didn't quite have the stick definition I'm looking for, but this one sounds like it does from the MDS video. I've had good luck with those videos accurately portraying the in person sound, so I'm hoping it's going to sound like I expect. I love my 15" hats too, but I didn't dig any of the other sizes of the A Avedis line that I heard. Gonna be interesting to see how it sounds when it shows up! Hey, if you have a chance to listen to the MDS video in my original post, I'd be curious to see what you think in terms of a comparison with the 21 that you had.
OK, just listened. Mine definitely sounded similar and was a close weight to the one in the video. It just had less substance and definition to the stick sound. The wash sounds similar, although mine had a bit more treble with more pronounced mid and high frequencies. Again, I still liked it and found it to be more focused in sound than the 22s I've tried. I think the stiffness of the cymbal has something to do with that, but also makes the crash less easy and pleasing.

Anyhow, if this video is accurate, the stick certainly sounds more pronounced. The one downside to buying from videos online though is that the harder to define qualities don't quite carry over, such as the feel and stiffness of a particular cymbal or drum. I've heard lots of videos comparing the Black Beauty to similar drums. While none matched in sound, some got pretty close. However, what I found in person is that the feel and sensitivity of the BB far surpassed the other NOB snares I tried.

Still, it can be a convenient way to purchase, and I just bought a K Con online without even hearing it first. Thankfully I'm pleased with what I got based on knowing the weight, model and characteristics, but it is a bit of a crap-shoot. I hope the cymbal is everything you hope it will be, play it with inspiration!

The Ruckus

Reaction score
I've purchased 4 rides and 2 crashes from MDS since 2015 and all 6 of the cymbals wound up sounding very close in person to how they sounded in the videos. So close in fact, that I still own and use 5 of the 6 cymbals. Although one of the rides sounded like it did in the video, it played so stiff under my stick that even after working with it for months I just couldn't play the thing, so I had to move it along.
Might just be my ears, but I have noticed the overtones don’t always come through their videos. Same with some crashes that have a terrible gong-like quality when struck lightly.

That said, every room is different and influences sound and my rooms are less than ideal usually

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OK, just listened. Mine definitely sounded similar and was a close weight to the one in the video. It just had less substance and definition to the stick sound. The wash sounds similar, although mine had a bit more treble with more pronounced mid and high frequencies. Again, I still liked it and found it to be more focused in sound than the 22s I've tried. I think the stiffness of the cymbal has something to do with that, but also makes the crash less easy and pleasing.

Anyhow, if this video is accurate, the stick certainly sounds more pronounced. The one downside to buying from videos online though is that the harder to define qualities don't quite carry over, such as the feel and stiffness of a particular cymbal or drum. I've heard lots of videos comparing the Black Beauty to similar drums. While none matched in sound, some got pretty close. However, what I found in person is that the feel and sensitivity of the BB far surpassed the other NOB snares I tried.

Still, it can be a convenient way to purchase, and I just bought a K Con online without even hearing it first. Thankfully I'm pleased with what I got based on knowing the weight, model and characteristics, but it is a bit of a crap-shoot. I hope the cymbal is everything you hope it will be, play it with inspiration!
Thanks for your thoughts on it. Awesome post!

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve got the 18,19,20,21, and 22. The 20 is the only one I don’t love. I like it, don’t love it. Would like to get some hats in this set too
Those 15" hats are great! I just recently got them and they have easily become my favorites! Interesting story...

My friend and drummer extraordinaire, Joel Rosenblatt, was playing a gig in Atlanta a couple of months ago. He was telling me about his cymbals that he brought (which included A Avedis 15" hats) and was really raving about the hats. Listening to him play them on the gig, I was very impressed with how they sounded. Of course it WAS Joel Rosenblatt playing them! lol Anyway, I decided to take the plunge and order a pair. I found them at Memphis Drum Shop. They had two pair. Both sounded great in the videos but to my ear one had the edge over the other. Turns out my top one is within a gram of Joel's and my bottom one is quite a bit lighter than his. But they sound great and I'm having a blast playing them! Here's a video I took of Joel at that gig. You can hear and see the hats really well, as I was sitting very close on that side of his kit. Another interesting note... he's playing the house kit except the snare is my Starphonic Bubinga that I loaned him for the gig...

Lennykenard

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those 15" hats are great! I just recently got them and they have easily become my favorites! Interesting story...

My friend and drummer extraordinaire, Joel Rosenblatt, was playing a gig in Atlanta a couple of months ago. He was telling me about his cymbals that he brought (which included A Avedis 15" hats) and was really raving about the hats. Listening to him play them on the gig, I was very impressed with how they sounded. Of course it WAS Joel Rosenblatt playing them! lol Anyway, I decided to take the plunge and order a pair. I found them at Memphis Drum Shop. They had two pair. Both sounded great in the videos but to my ear one had the edge over the other. Turns out my top one is within a gram of Joel's and my bottom one is quite a bit lighter than his. But they sound great and I'm having a blast playing them! Here's a video I took of Joel at that gig. You can hear and see the hats really well, as I was sitting very close on that side of his kit. Another interesting note... he's playing the house kit except the snare is my Starphonic Bubinga that I loaned him for the gig...

Well, I guess that’s that. I gotta get me some 15’s!

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just to update... My 21" A Avedis ride came in yesterday. (Yay, FedEx actually got something here on time! lol) I've played it a lot so far. It's a great sounding cymbal by itself. As I had thought, it goes very well with my other cymbals. I played it along with some music last night. Many different styles of music.. from jazz to R&B to classic rock. That's where the true beauty of this cymbal seems to shine. The stick definition when the cymbal is played by itself is very good but you also hear a lot of wash, which is fine. But playing it in context with music, the stick definition really comes through and the wash is at a level/pitch that sits in the mix with beautiful support. Add to that, a really clear and good sounding bell and a nice controllable crash sound. I'm super happy with it and can't wait to play it live with real musicians. I've got a jam coming up in a few weeks (a tribute to a local sax player that passed away) and plan to use my small kit with my A Avedis 15" hats, 19" Kerope, and this 21" A Avedis. Tried out that combo today and they sound amazing together!

On another note: What is everyone's thoughts on adding rivets to this cymbal? I'm obviously not going to do that anytime soon, as I want to play it as is for awhile. But I'm wondering if that might even take it to yet another level. Thoughts?